Sunday, October 25, 2020

TRACES OF TIME . . . October 19-25, 2020

TRACES OF TIME . . .   

THIS WEEK 
OCTOBER 19, 2017 
TO
OCTOBER 25, 2017

AUTUMN
OCTOBER

MONDAY, OCTOBER 19, 2020 

Family is Everything... 
So many missionaries sent 
money to buy flowers for their 
mission  president's funeral...
in the Mexico colors of red 
and green with two
Mexico flags.
So with the money they still had,
they decided to buy me a 4 pound
box of See's Chocolates...
...which Thomas Rohrer
brought to me...
...today.
I am overwhelmed! I didn't
know they had such a big
box of See's chocolates!
Thank you, Elderes
y Hermanas!
This week I am working on
my Mom's Life Story that
she started in Jan 2000 when
she turned 80 years old.
We had a "draft copy" of
400-some double-spaced
pages done by Christmas that year.
but have been adding photos and
the rest of her life to July 2013
when she died at age 93.
This year is the 100th year 
remembrance of her 1920 birth.

V E R N A

An Idaho Girl

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Life Story of

Verna Beth Huffaker Albertson

1920  - 2013

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Year’s Resolution for 2000:

“Write my life story this year.”

--Verna Albertson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In her own words from Verna’s written memories

and remembrances told to her daughter, Eileen Albertson Petersen

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

First Partial Edition - December 2000

Semi-final Edition with some photos – 2008

Final Edition 2020 – 100th Birthday Remembrance

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** 

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 20, 2020               Family is Everything...                                                                                                                   Another nice warm October day...

Julie brought me a hot dog
from Costco.
Then I sliced it like they do
at my favorite hot dog place...
...grilled it and it became
a JDAWG!
...topped off with a
See's chocolate.

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2020

Family is Everything... 
  Today is two months since
my Eternal Sweetheart went
to live in Heaven.
  Even though I miss him a lot,
I know he is having a quality of life
there, and pray he is happy with
whatever calling he has been given.
During his las year at University of Idaho
he was president of the LDS House.
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
The weekly luncheon with
the neighborhood ladies was
in Springville at Magleby's today.
The founders' paintings are on
this wall...
We waited to be seated...
Here's more of the beautiful building
that used to be an Art Gallery.
This is high-end food...
...with nice table settings.
Yummy rolls...
 Everyone ordered
fish; salmon, trout, halibut, shrimp...
except I had a chicken fried steak.
Everyone said it was delicious.
Linda said: "This is the best trout
I've ever had."
One of the paintings...
The ceiling...
The five who could come today...
...are front: Kathie, Francine, Linda.
Back: Eileen, Tammy.
The photo outside always
shows up better.
Kathie, Tammy, Francine, Linda.
After lunch we spent a great hour
at the Springville Museum of Art
 on the opening day of their
                                                Spring Salon                                                                                October 21, 2020 - January 13, 2021

The Spring Salon was first held in 1922, begun by students and teachers of Springville High School who wanted to exhibit and promote original artwork. The Salon has been held annually since that time, except during World War II when fuel and other goods were rationed nationwide. The Springville Museum of Art continues the tradition today and invites all artists in Utah to participate in the 96th Annual Spring Salon. This exhibition is a juried competition that showcases the diversity and quality of contemporary Utah art.


 Exhibition Opens   Wednesday October 21, 2020 

Closing date of exhibition

Wednesday January 13, 2021 

Museum of Art - Springville, Utah: Completed in 1937, this building was designed in the Spanish Colonial Revival style by architect Claud S. Ashworth (1885-1971).[3] It was dedicated by LDS Apostle David O. McKay as "A sanctuary of beauty and a temple of meditation." It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986 as Springville High School Art Gallery.[1]

It was built during 1936-37 and was extended in 1964.[2]

The Springville Museum of Art was made possible by the Nebo School District, the Works Progress Administration Act, and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In 1964 a two-story wing was added as a gift from the Clyde Foundation.

For this "Spring Salon" they
had 1,000 entries of which only
300 were chosen for display.
Marvelous original art work from
Utah artists~!
Tammy said this is an original work of
art from years past.
This Springville Museum of Art sign says:
"A sanctuary of beauty.
A temple of contemplation"
--1937
Tammy, thanks for telling us
about this special event.
The outside photo...
The 30-minute drive back home was
filled with more interesting conversation.
Thanks, Tammy, for driving us today.
Wednesday is movie night
with my son, Gary. For
October we have chosen
"old monster movies."
Info from Wikipedia:

"Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man" 

...is a 1943 American horror film produced by Universal Studios starring Lon Chaney Jr. as the Wolf Man and Bela Lugosi as Frankenstein's monster. This was the first of a series of 'ensemble' monster films combining characters from several film series. This film, therefore, is both the fifth in the series of films based upon Mary Shelley's 1818 book Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus, directly after The Ghost of Frankenstein, and a sequel to The Wolf Man."

Gary said it's the one he remembers when he was a little boy seeing on TV of the wolf man finding Frankenstein in the ice, and then fighting at the end.

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 22, 2020                   Family is Everything...                                                                                         Tree in our back yard...it's Fall for sure.

Jacee brought forms from school to order
high school graduation announcements.
How is that happening already?!
I'm still working on my Mom's life story...
here's the start of the 2000's:

Verna Enters Her 80’s

Think of the changes she has seen in her eight decades of life!   21st CENTURY

 2000 - age 80 - Gooding

2000-George W. Bush, Republican, elected President of the United States

after a long siege over the ballot count in Florida between him and Al Gore, Democrat

Internet “dot.com” bubble goes bust, dragging down stock market

2000--Gordon B. Hinckley 6th year as LDS Prophet

Membership of the Church 11,000,000

60,000 Missionaries serving in world

April--General Conference held in new Conference Center for first time

July 8--Merida Temple dedicated in the Yucatan Peninsula

Oct. 1--100th working temple dedicated in Boston

Oct 8--The Conference Center dedicated at General Conference

 January 1, 2000!  A new Century.  A new Millennium! 

            Even though some experts say the new millennium really doesn’t start until January 1, 2001, I can say I’ve lived in nine decades, and two millennia.

            I slept in because I had stayed up until about 1:00 a.m. to watch the New Year and the New Millennium come in.  I had munched on the snacks I had prepared for the New Year’s Eve party for the Single Adult sisters.   None of these older sisters wanted to stay up that late, so the party was cancelled.

            When I got up I remembered the Rose Parade would be coming on and I wanted to watch some of the preliminaries so I hurried and dressed and came down to the family room to watch the parade.  I was sitting in the recliner that I still call Arnold’s chair. 

            I was watching it for a while and all of a sudden I looked at the TV and something else was on.  I couldn’t figure out why something else would be inserted in the Rose Parade.  Then I looked at the clock and it was noon!  I had gone to sleep and slept an hour and a half.  I couldn’t believe it! 

            I snacked all day, put a log in the fireplace and enjoyed its coziness. 

            I made a New Year’s Resolution that I would write my life story this year so I got out my scrapbooks and started.  I have bits and pieces done but nothing really organized.  In these scrapbooks I have made for each decade of my life I can get a good chronological sequence.

            Eileen said she would help me so we’ll see what I can come up with.  I would like to have it done by December and give as Christmas presents for my two daughters and  eleven grandchildren.  My great grandchildren are mostly too young to read it, except for Aimee and Daniel, but maybe someday they would all be interested in it.

            Eileen told me just the other day that Janie said Broulim's grocery store in Rexburg had had a “50’s” theme and had hung those big 33 ½ size records from the ceiling.  Katie, 6, asked: “Mom, why do they have those funny-looking big, black CD’s hanging up?” 

            Janie said to Eileen, “That’s when I realized that my kids have never seen a record player nor listened to records like I did on our record player.  I played ‘My Fair Lady,’ ‘Fiddler on the Roof,’ and ‘Sound of Music,’ so much I thought I would wear them out. I also remember playing ‘Golden Slumbers--Lullabies,’ ‘Downtown,’ ‘Tiajuana Brass,’ and your old Sinatra records.

            “Mom, you and Dad have an antique right in your dining room,” Janie added, as she put a record on Eileen and Walt’s old stereo they got in the 1970s. 

            So we’re going to have to describe even record players and other things we used..."

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2020                           Family is Everything... 

 I had a fun surprise to see
Heidi and Pono pull up after
a 12-hour drive from Albuqurque.
They are the sweet couple who
married July 17 in Mark and Tammy
Ballard's back yard. 
They're here for a ballroom competition.

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 24, 2020

Family is Everything... 
  Janie had a big change of plans today.
She and Shawn had driven to Coeur d'Alene on
Wednesday (overnight in Missoula)
then on in Thursday to see Michael
play in the state soccer tournament.
Madison lost their first game, won
their second game on Friday but the
consolation game they were to play
today was cancelled because of so 
much overnight snow and ice.
So Janie flew from Spokane to be
here to watch Heidi and Pono dance.
She got here just in time to
go to Zupa's for lunch...
We had soup 'n salad,  and shared
a piece of Zupa's chocolate mousse cake.
She went with me to Costco to get my
hearing aids cleaned, found a few fun
items to buy, then went to Steve's to
help Heidi and Pono get some final
things done for their ballroom time
of 7:45. Steve was busy getting the
last two chapters from their draft
form to finished mode for his book
Construction IQ -- 
an instruction guide for 
Construction Managers. 
We got to the Pleasant Grove High School
in time for Heidi to get into her new
ballroom dress...
There were three couples in the
first section - then eight couples 
were in the next section of
"American Rhythm"...
...which includes Mamba, Samba,
Swing, Cha Cha, and Bolero.
(I hadn't heard of "Bolero" before.)
They placed second in their first section.
But ran out of steam, plus Heidi had some
asthma problems of breathing, in that
next section, so they didn't fare well.
They were fun to watch and are
wonderful dancers together!
I was so thankful to be 
there to see them dance.
Janie, Ashley, and I made a good
cheering team for them!
We ate a late supper at
In 'n Out Burger...
then I went home to
watch the end of...
 the 
BYU-Texas State football game.
Cougars were predicted to win
by 35...they exceeded that by 3,
winning 52-14.
BYU is now 6-0. A big test
for them will be against Boise State.
Is that next Saturday?
Or is in two weeks?
 
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2020 

Family is Everything... 
 We woke to snow...
I was thankful I was in a nice, warm
cozy cottage, and not stranded outside
like the Martin and Willie Hand Cart
Pioneers in that October snowstorm
in Wyoming in (I'll have to look up
the year....was it the late 1850s?).
This October snow storm 
melted by afternoon.
We had a delicious Sunday roast
beef dinner cooked by John.
Julie baked her yummy monkey bread.
The annual "cousin's
 pumpkin carving party" has become 
a "friend's pumpkin carving party" 
now, since most of the Utah
cousins have grown up and
gone away to college, missions,
or to be a Coast Guard rescue
swimmer in Kodiak, Alaska.
The chocolate fountain...
...was a big hit to cover marshmallows,
strawberries, pound cake, pretzels,
or even potato chips in the melted
c h o c o l a t e .
After scooping out the inside
goop with John's great battery-run
tool...
...a design is decided on.
Then the cutting begins.
...fun for all.
Here's my favorite things to dip
into the chocolate...
Everyone is very creative...
...it's not just two eyes, a nose,
and a mouth any more.
...more fun in a group.
I enjoyed watching them all.
Jacee, John, Eva...
Oh, no--is Riggy going head first
into the chocolate fountain?
And here are the finished creations...
...works of art, for sure!
Bring on Halloween week . . . !!!
*** ~~~ ~ ~ ~ ~~~ ***
 *** *I am so thankful for The Plan of Salvation and the Atonement of  Jesus Christ that makes this Great Plan operational.
At the end of this October 25th,
I pray you have had a
restful , peaceful, and spiritual
Sabbath Day...
I share these truths as my testimony to you...
Heavenly Father lives and knows us each by name. He loves us and wants us to return to Him and Heavenly Mother when we leave this mortal existence.  He loves us just as we are at this very moment.
*** *** ***
Jesus Christ came to earth as The Only Begotten of the Father and fulfilled the Atonement. He is the Redeemer of all. 
*** *** ***
Joseph Smith was foreordained to be the Prophet of the Restoration.  He is the Restorer of all things.
*** *** ***
President Russell M. Nelson is the Living Prophet today for all the world. 
*** *** ***
The Bible is "the Word of God as far as it is translated correctly" and is a Testament of the Divinity of Jesus Christ.
*** *** ***
The Book of Mormon is the Word of God and is Another Testament of Jesus Christ. It is the most correct book of any book on earth.
*** *** ***
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the True Church on the earth today.  
*** *** ***
Of these truths I testify in the Name of Jesus Christ, amen.
Eileen Petersen
Saratoga Springs, Utah, U.S.A.
October 25, 2020

No comments: