Sunday, July 19, 2015

Traces of Time. . . July 13 to 19, 2015

Traces of Time . . . 
This week ~ July 13 to 19, 2015 ~ Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, and Utah.

July 13, 2015 - Monday
The Keith and Ramona Crane family moved to Burley in 1969 from Mink Creek (in the hills south of Pocatello).  They lived on the end of our Burton Avenue block.  Their two daughters, RoZann and Lisa were two of the wonderful babysitters we had as our children grew up.

Keith K. Crane had a stroke a year and a half ago, and was frustrated that he could not speak.  He was 90.  We went to his funeral this morning.  His children did great at giving the prayers, life sketch, memories, and talks.

Here is Ramona with their five children at the viewing.
RoZann, Lisa, Tracy, Gilbert, and Kelly.
Ramona is not in good health.  She is living in St. George where Lisa and her husband and family are.  

RoZann and her husband live in Los Angeles.  

Lisa, in the wonderful life sketch she gave, said she knew she was smart because her Dad told her she was.  She believed a lot of good things about herself because her Dad told her all these good things.  Her Dad paid each of the children $1 for each "A" on their report card.

On one of Lisa's report cards, where the parents sign, her Dad wrote by his signature: "This report card cost me $5."

Tracy, an engineer, and wife and family live in Texas. 

Gilbert is an orthopedic surgeon here in Burley and he and his family have a home on the river east of Burley.  

Kelly, his wife and family live in Wyoming where he is a professor at the University and does a lot of his teaching in the great outdoors.  He said in the funeral he was thankful for his Dad teaching him a love for nature and animals.

At the viewing Sunday evening, individually they thanked Walt for the influences he had on them during their growing-up years when he was their Bishop.

Here is a copy of Keith and Ramona's wedding photo.
Keith and Ramona will be together forever and they have a wonderful family.
And I think most of his neighbors and friends had seen the authentic, fascinating arrow heads Keith had collected.

             Island Park and
           Yellowstone Park
          July 13-17, 2015 with 
       Brewers and Petersons

After the funeral, we drove to Rexburg where Janie had some things for us to take on up with us to Island Park where we were rendezvousing with Jen & Jerry, Seth, Sarah, Ben, Josh, Lizzy, Adam, and Anna, along with Julie, Jacee, Jackson, Maddie, and Rigdon.

We spent Monday evening to Friday morning with them.
We will share the adventures we had.

July 14, 2015 - Tuesday - South Loop of Yellowstone Park

 Little did we know when we were in the stop 'n go line to enter Yellowstone Park that the statue of this bear would be one of the few animals we would see that day.
The line was so slow that the kids got out to climb and pose for a photo with the grizzly. Sarah is in the bear hug.

After 45-minutes--at 11:15--we were at the Entrance just as they began to wave the cars on through without paying.  Guess the line had gotten too long.

Our first stop was Fire Hole Falls. Don't remember seeing that on the two previous times we've been to Yellowstone.
Next stop was at Old Faithful for lunch.
It had turned a little chilly. The kids put down the umbrella at their table to get warmed up in the sunshine.  Here's Julie and her 8-y-o Maddie.
We thought the Old Faithful Geyser erupted every 28 minutes...but when we got to the location, a Ranger told it was every 1 hour and 30 we had an hour to peruse the gift shop.
Maddie's choice was some pretty colored rocks.
Then at 3:46, a minute before predicted...Old Faithful Geyser erupted.

July 15, 2015 - Wednesday - Rafting on Henry's Fork of the Snake River
We were on the river about 2 1/2 hours.  Lizzy, 5, asked if this river ever ended.  She is on the right side.
 It was so peaceful, serene, and quiet as we rowed along.

It got a little chilly, but warmed up when the sun came back out.  Toward the end the kids were getting hungry so I shared the four apples I had brought.  This is the second raft with Jackson, Ben, and Seth.
Trying to find more photos of this second raft.  Here are Sarah, Jackson, and Julie holding Rigdon.
In the evening we drove a short ways to the headwaters of the Snake River. It was this small mountain spring coming from the mountains.  
Walt wondered how many days it takes for this water we were looking at to be flowing in the Snake River that goes b y Burley--220 miles away.
Then we went a few feet to feed the fish from the bridge but the seagulls must have scared them away.  So the kids fed the seagulls.
Fun in simple things...
Walt and I love being in the mountains and in the wonders of nature of our beautiful earth created by Jesus Christ and Adam under the direction of a Loving Heavenly Father.
Walt and I like to read the historical site plaques.
Jerry helped 2 1/2 year-old Adam be safe as he loved running to each side of the bridge throwing bread to the seagulls.
Then we drove back over to the big rented cabin (that sleeps 15-20) and ended the day with a beautiful camp fire, roasting marshmallows to make S'mores.
It's always fascinating to watch a beautifully-built camp fire.
"♪♫♫♪♫♪When you come to the end of a perfect day♪♫♫♪♫♪ . . ."

July 16, 2015 - Thursday - Walt and I and Julie were at the West Yellowstone Medical Clinic in the morning because we didn't know if what I thought was "heart-burn" was really that or a precursor of a heart attack.
It was determined to be heart burn, but from the EKG done that morning compared with one Dr. Spackman faxed over from his Burley Office, they thought it looked like I had scarring on it from a small silent heart attack before the 2010 EKG done then.
[The next week when we went in to see Dr James Spackman, internist, in Burley, he said that he didn't think it was a heart attack because there are so many "false positives" with the graph line in that spot.]

The medical provider was a Nurse Practitioner and she was excellent!  .
Walt, Jerry, and I were very impressed with her and with this West Yellowstone Health Clinic.

Jerry and Jen and kids had had a fun morning swimming in the "Fire Hole Whirlpools."  They got there early and had it to themselves for about an hour and a half.  Then it got crowded and one man was sure he found a silver vein and shouted it out to everyone there.

We had a yummy lunch at the Montana Out Post.
Followed by delicious ice cream cones at the little Ice Cream Shack on the corner.
For the afternoon we drove back around part of the South Loop to see the Canyon Lands and the majestic Yellowstone Falls.  Ben, Josh, Seth, Jackson, with Adam in front.

Jen and Jerry with Adam and Anna by the famous Yellowstone Falls.
Walt and Eileen by the Yellowstone Falls.
Then we drove on out of the West Entrance entering West Yellowstone, Montana about 6:30 with a 30-minute more drive to the cabin at Island Park.
Julie had taken the girls and Rigdon back to the cabin after lunch, and they were in the hot tub when we returned.  The Hot Tub had cold water all week until this last day when it had finally been fixed to heat up.  Jacee, Maddie, Lizzy, Sarah.

After supper with all the tasty left-overs, we enjoyed relaxing on the front porch with "Cowboy Pete." Sorry I didn't get a photo of his cowboy boots.
The kids ended the day in the hot tub.

July 17, 2015 - Friday - We packed up and said "Good-bye" to our Rochester, Minnesota family and "Good-bye" to the beautiful Island Park and Yellowstone Park.

It was hard for Jacee and Sarah to say "good-bye" to each other.  The cousins love each other and these bonding times deepen their friendships.
Sisters - Jen and Julie won't see each other again for a long time.
These cousins had a lot of fun together: Ben, Seth, Josh, and Jackson.

Julie, Jacee, Jackson, Maddie, and Rigdon...already in his car seat. We missed John who couldn't leave his job. 
Here's a close up of Rigdon ready for the long drive back to Saratoga Springs in Utah.
Jerry and Jen, Seth, Sarah, Ben, Josh, Lizzy, Adam, and Anna.
Jen and Jerry, thanks for making it all happen! 
The meals you cooked were delicious and nutritious!
We all left Island Park about 8:00.  The Brewers drove straight through and got home to Rochester, Minnesota at 2:30 a.m. Saturday morning. That was about 18 hours of straight driving--only stopping for gasoline and bathroom breaks that went along with stopping for the gasoline.  Good thing their 12-passenger van only has a small gas tank.

Walt and I drove to Utah where we had a 20-year Mexico Merida Mission Reunion scheduled for Walt serving as Mission President and I as the Mission President's wife from July 1995 to July 1998.

We thank Elder Thomas Rohrer for heading up this wonderful and nostalgic Mission Reunion.  We were overwhelmed at seeing so many of our top-notch Elderes y Hermanas who had served with us!

We got to John & Julie's home in Saratoga Springs, Utah about 2:00
They are always so good to let us stay there, even though now their guest room is the baby's room.  Rigdon sleeps in the play crib in their room when we stay overnight.
We appreciate their love and hospitality.  We were worn out from all the activities so we had a long nap before we got ready to start the reunion.

México Mérida Mission 
20-year Reunion

That evening was the opening part of our 20-year Mission Reunion by Elder Rohres skyping 13 of our missionaries in Mexico and talking with them face-t0-face via computer video cameras...truly a miracle through the Internet.
    We sat by this computer and could see our missionary and his or her spouse and children on the big screen behind (or on the computer).

Helping Thomas Rohrer were Elder Sean Monroe--who had just driven 12 hours from Arizona-- Hna. Angeles CortesSalmeron from Payson, and Elder Olguin from Orem.  
July 18, 2015 - Saturday - The 20-year Missionary Reunion -- We are so thankful for so many taking the time in their busy lives to come be with us. 
About 25 missionaries came, with their eternal sweethearts and precious children.

It was like zone conference.....many out in front snapping photos.

Here is Elder Thomas Rohrer and his wife and children who have supported Thomas in all the time it has taken him in preparing this outstanding 
Here is their sweet daughter who was too shy to look at the camera.  Best wishes for the new baby due to join your family in September.
Here are some photos taken of us with individual families...
Elder Lauro Casteñada with his wife and three children.
They get the prize for coming the farthest.  They drove 2000 miles from  Guanauato, México.  They were also going on to Yellowstone Park.

 Elder Joey Campbell was the one who came from the next farthest away...Alabama.
Driving a long way from El Paso, Texas is Michelle Sullivan Wilkes, with 3 of her 5 children. Her husband stayed in El Paso for his Bishop duties.  The two older children had summer camps they were obligated to attend.
If you're lucky enough to be on their family Christmas Letter list, you know how busy and involved they are with their children.
(As it should be in a family.)
The Sean & Hillary Monroe Family drove 12 hours from Arizona. (Can't believe that high school starts next Wednesday for their two oldest.)
Here is Elder Merrell.
Here are Matt and Eadie Warner. (Sorry, I know I didn't spell your sweetheart's name right, Matt.)  They have adopted some beautiful, handsome, and smart children.  They live in Eagle Mountain, Utah.
Hna. Sullivan Wilkes brought this darling, huge pineapple piñata.
Here "Presidente Petersen" is telling the hermanas that when the Area Presidency decided not to have bicycles any more for trackting in any of the missions in the México South Area, the Elders said they wouldn't be able to contact as many people to teach.  "Presidente Petersen" said: "The sisters/hermanas have always trackted without bicycles and they often have a lot of .baptisms."
   The young Elders didn't say anymore about the bicycles.
   The sisters had a good laugh over this.
We had great missionaries--here are some of our hard-working, faithful sisters.  Hermanas Tovar, Penuñurri, us, Sullivan, and Cortes-Salmeron.
Here's the Elias Chi Tovar Family.  Their darling children were off playing.  She got in our car to guide us over to the alternate park we needed to go to.  Thank you.  Elias is a cousin to Noamí Tus Chi who worked in the mission home.
Here is Hermana Penuñurri.  Her husband also served in the México Mérida Mission 1990-1992.  They live in Utah now.
Here is Elder 
I am so sad for having missed getting photos of several of our missionaries and their families who came:
Sam Parker and girl friend
The Olguins
The Goffs
The Broughs
The Holversons

    Thomas sent me great photos of all of the above, but I can't get them to "copy" to my computer.

A BIG THANK YOU TO THOMAS ROHRER, who has been head of the Mission Reunion for the past ten years.  Ten years because we have been out of the country on missions, so a reunion couldn't be held. 
He welcomed everyone and explained some fun prizes they could all put their name in for even the children.

He also asked for a vote for a new Director of the Mission Reunion.
These are the missionaries who have been chosen to head up the next Missionary Reunion.  They will decide the date and place and arrangements: Elders Schenk, Bartu, Olguin, and Burtenshaw.  Thanks for taking on this assignment.

   I didn't get a photo of them together. Elder Olguin's photo is in the Friday evening activity.
Someone told us that Elder Burtenshaw got as far as Malad from Pocatello and thought he'd be too late, so turned back.
(Next time remember faith in every footstep and mile.)

Here are The Braxton Schenks and The Michael Bartus...
Schenks live in Layton, Bartus live in Pocatello.   

Thank you so much for heading up our next gathering.
Here are The Joseph Turks who live in Bountiful I think he said.
Here are Hna. Angeles Cortes-Salmeron and great husband.  They have 3 beautiful children.
Here is The Sean Monroe family, 
I am so sad I didn't get a photo of Sam Parker who grilled all the hamburgers and hot dogs. He helped so much.
We appreciate everyone who brought food for the hundred or so that were there.
Elder Olguin and his wife brought this beautiful Yucatacan-type cake.  It was beautiful, and delicious!
It's always hard to say good-bye.
Just a few more words of wisdom and advice from
x-President Walter Ray Petersen.
Here's Elder Rohrer's precious family.
And here is our wonderful planner, 


 who has worked so hard to make this all happen!  
We cannot express in words how much we appreciate everything you have done and how memorable 
these two days have been for us!!!
And we feel like all those who were
able to come had a memorable time, also!

This has created more nostalgic memories for us having served for those three years as a mission president and wife with all our outstanding missionaries!  

As we drove off into the sunset getting home to Burley, Idaho at midnight, we carried the glow of all the sweet memories made on July 17 and 18, 2 0 1 5 at the 20-Year Mexico Merida Mission Reunion.
      This has been a great highlight in our life.
          We can't believe all the extra work you did and love, love, love the Mission Families - 2 0 1 5.

P.S. I just saw this on face book July 26.
New about one of our missionaries.
Randy and Nashlea White had their baby Reed blessed on July 26, 2015.

July 19, 2015 - Sunday

George and Jacque Gorton gave inspirational talks prior to leaving for two years to serve in the Greece Athens Mission already assigned to be on the Island of Cyprus for that time.
She closed with her testimony in Greek.
We wish them Godspeed on August 3rd as they enter the MTC in Provo.

We were happy to see Ruth Melling and her son Kirt.  They had driven Don back last Monday for 30 more days of therapy at the Countryside Rehabilitation Center in Rupert.
We drove over tonight to see Don.  He said he wasn't having a good day because his hip was hurting so much and he had some other aches that keep him awake at night.

We will be going over again tomorrow to see him.

Ken and Bonnie Fronk are in the midst of a family reunion and have 32 of their family here. 

I saw Walt go over to talk with Josh. 

Ken said 3 grandchildren could not come: 1 granddaughter is serving a mission, and the others were on important assignments, also.

Here are 3 of their four sons: Jason a bishop in Boise; Josh working on a graphic degree at Columbia University in New York, and Eric doing great things in California.
I got a photo of Ken and Christopher together.
Chris is amazing at his job at Smith's Food and Drug.  I always try to go to the line  he is.  He is always loving and kind. What a special part of their family he is.
And here are Ken & Bonnie.  What an outstanding couple they are.  He was the first beloved bishop of our new "Third Ward."  Bonnie has influenced not only her family for good, but many, many Jr. High Students.

Sister Bonnie Fronk gave another wonderful lesson in Gospel Doctrine.  It was on the crucifixion of the Savior.  One thing I had not known before. "Satan used every tactic he could to get the Savior to say something that would nullify his perfect life.  The Evil One did not want the Atonement to be successful so that we could never be resurrected to eternal joy." --paraphrased from a quote of one of the Brethren.

We pray you have had a peaceful and restful Sabbath Day.

We are thankful for the perfect life of Jesus Christ and for His fulfilling his foreordination to become our Savior and Redeemer.

We pray we will show our gratitude to Him and our love for Him by always keeping His commandments and always honoring the Covenants we have made with Him.

May you have a good week coming up.

We testify of these truths about Our Savior and are thankful for His love for us.

Walt and Eileen Petersen - Burley, I D A H O

No comments: