Thursday, February 13, 2020

Traces of Time . . . February 10-16, 2020

Traces of Time . . .
(To see last week's blog post--scroll down to the end of this week, then 
the Week of February 3-9, 2020 will be there. 
If it's not, hit "Older Posts." at the bottom right.) 
THIS WEEK- 
FEBRUARY10-16, 2020

YEAR OF 2020 
BEGINNING THE DECADE
OF 2020 TO 2029...

MONDAY, FEBUARY 10, 2020
Family is Everything... 
Karen came to check on
Walt this afternoon.
His blood pressure and heart are good.
Saturday Karen and her husband went to the
play at the Orem Hale Center Theater.
She didn't know it was our granddaughter
in the lead part. Karen said she was great!
And the play was so funny. The laughter
and clapping were so loud, Karen
agreed that it would not have been
good for Walt to be there.
Family Home Evening
was at Fletcher's tonight.
                                  A delicious soup supper was served.
Nadine made some yummy cheesecakes.
Nadine made a Taco bean, plus a potato soup.
Sharon made zuchinni-potato soup.
Judy made chicken-noodle soup,
with homemade noodles.
We learn a lot each Monday.
We are in Section ___
of Becoming Spiritually Centered
and Overcoming the World
DVD lectures by
James B. Cox
*** *** ***
Front L-R: Eileen, Judy, Jennie, Leslie.
Standing: Nelson, Heather, Sharon, 
Howard, Nadine, Dean.
Nadine took this photo so Andrew
could be in it.
Nadine and Dean are a great
host and hostess.
We thank them for letting
us all come to their home.
We enjoy learning together.
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 11, 2020
Family is Everything... 
Marci came to help
Walt start his day
Institute
Saints
Chapters 26-27-28 
Camie Williams was the teacher.
Sue was not able to come because
she is sick. We pray for her recovery.
Camie said if she doesn't recover,
be ready for a phone call to
substitute for Sue next week.
Remember, just scroll past these
power point slides if you don't want
to know about Church History.
If you love Church History like I do,
click on the slide to enlarge it and
see it better.
Camie makes Church History come alive!
Institute
...then she brings it right up to today
of how it's relevant in our personal life.
...so much happened.
...what does it mean to us?
Brigham Young said...
Institute
Joseph had friends that stayed with him,
but some did not stay loyal to him.
...some who left him.
The Lord speaks about the law of consecration.
Oliver Cowdery should have been
the most loyal and true...
...pride causes much saddness.
Camie found a perfect example of
someone not wanting to listen
to reason...
Pride leads us into temptation.
Arise and shine forth---D and C 115
...prepare the world for the
Second Comint of the Lord.
What happened in Far West, Missouri?
What and where is
Adam-ondi-Ahman...
Institute Camie Williams, with
Heather Cannon, also from the
Saratoga Springs 3rd Ward.
Thanks, Camie, for another great
Institute lesson.

Still some snow on the ground.
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2020
Family is Everything... 
Julie and Jacee are on their
way to join the BYU Youth
Ballroom Team in California
for competitions
 Wednesday is 
Movie Night with Gary
 Gary and we have chosen 
love stories for February...

...and tonight the movie
was "Love Story" from 1970
"...love means never having
to say you're sorry."
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2020
Family is Everything... 
Marci came to help Walt
start his day. 
 She does a lot for him.
Did I ever show a photo of Walt's baseball
caps that he got in each country we were in?
We just had them sitting on a shelf at our
home in Burley, but Julie put them up on
display where Walt can enjoy seeing them.
Of course, his Bareloche hat from 
Argentina's famous ski area,
he wears most every day, when he doesn't
wear his University of Idaho Vandal cap.
 The hospital bed that home health and hospice
has brought in helps Walt be much more
comfortable and safer.
 Karen, Walt's long-term hospice nurse
comes on Mondays and Thursdays.
She served as a nurse of the Samoa Mission
a few years ago with her husband.
I told Karen about my right hand
being asleep, and my right leg having
gone to sleep toward morning today,
and she told me to go to Urgent Care
this afternoon because it was like
the symptons I had two years ago
January when I had a mild
Thalmus Stroke.
Well...I had called my new physician--
Dr. Kimball--earlier that day about
calling in a prescription for Insulin,
since my Rx had no more refills.
They called me shortly after Karen Left 
to tell me the Rx had been called in.
I talked to them about the symptoms
I'm having today and they told me to
come in. When the office gal was
trying to find a time to fit me in,
she told the provider about
my situation, and advised me to
go right to the Emergency Room.
I called Steve about it, and he
said he'd leave work right then
and come drive me to the ER.
We checked in to the ER at
4:54 and the ER physican,
Dr. Schmidt was excellent.
He took my symptoms of a
possible stroke very seriously
and did all the dexterity and mental
tests--which I passed okay...like
having a symmetrical smile, 
strength in my right hand,
touching my nose with my finger,
touching his nose with my finger, etc.
He then had an EKG done
He ordered two MRI's, which were done
all at once. I was in the MRI machine
for 40 straight minutes. They play
soft music into earphones now,
which don't completely block out 
all the clicks and clanks, but in
between the soft music is soothing.
He did tell me when it was just 28
minutes left, then 22 minutes, then
12 minutes...so that helped.
I was afraid I would cough with
my semi-chronic cough which
happens sporadically,
but I didn't, so I didn't
have to start over.
Dr. Schmidt said the MRI's showed
normal arteries, no blockages.
The carotid arteries showed very
small something, but he said
most everyone has some there.
So after 3 hours there, I
was discharged with the
follow-up to get an appointment
with the neurologist next week.
Thanks, Steve, for helping me.
Walt had insisted on coming
with me. On the way home we 
stopped at Denny's 
to have supper. 
So relieved and thankful that it wasn't
a stroke. My right hand still feels a
little asleep, which I learn from the
discharge papers that it's medically
called "parathesis" or something like that. 
 Steve got to talk building business with
John for a few minutes since they are
both on the same page about how
to keep up to date on what's
happening in that world.
 
What a relief for all of us that my only
lingering symptom is a slight parathesis
still in my right hand.
I felt like maybe I shouldn't have even
said anything, but Dr. Schmidt said I
did exactly the right thing in coming
in to the ER. He explained that if
I were having a stroke there are
things they can do to help,
but if I didn't come in and
had a stroke, there is nothing
they can do after it happens.
*** *** ***
My right hand had been going to sleep
for several nights, but since it was the
right side, I didn't worry too much about
it (since I thought a stroke only manifested
on the left side but I had that mixed up 
with what happens in a heart attack). 
However, when my right leg and
foot went to sleep about five o'clock this
morning, I did get concerned and "talked
with Heavenly Father that I couldn't have
another stroke because I needed to take
care of Walt."
Then when Karen told me that a stroke
can happen on the right side, too, 
because it's whichever side a blood
clot happens, I did become
very concerned.
I definitely need to go back onto aspirin.
I stopped several months ago when the
medical news was announced that
if you haven't had a heart attack,
taking aspirin may even be
harmful.
Dr. Schmidt said the neurologist
told me to take a regular aspirin
daily until I see him and he will
decide if I just need a low-dose
aspirin daily to keep my blood
a little thinned.
Now that's more than anyone 
wanted to know about a possible
stroke, but I wanted to document it
for me before I forget all that happened
and what I was advised to do.
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2020
Family is Everything... 
First, a glimpse back to 
last year's Valentine's Day...
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2019 
2019--We got yummy chocolates
from Julie and John's family .
 
On every Valentine's Day
Walt used to give each child, then
each grandchild a heart-shaped box
of chocolates with a prescription pad
saying "I love you"  with his signature.
Here's the beautiful Valentine card
we got from Janie and The Fish Family...
Thanks, Fishers.
  Walt gave me these cute soft heart faces.
I gave a little heart box of chocolates
and a home-made card to 
my eternal sweetheart.
John made heart-shaped pancakes for breakfast.
 
 We did 45 minutes on the bicycle today.
We, of course, wore red for
this Valentine's Day. 
 John showed Riggy how
to use the paints that
had been in his pre-school
Valentine box.
We've had a great Valentine's Day together.
Our 57th one since we've been married.
Our love is deeper and stronger for
each other every passing day. 
"How do I love thee?
Let me count the ways...
I love you to the breadth...
How Do I Love Thee? (Sonnet 43)
ELIZABETH BARRETT BROWNING1806 - 1861
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day’s
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood’s faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.
Back to today...Feb. 14, 2020
Here we are today...
Remembered by Aimee and Michael...
with these beautiful flowers and candy.
Thank you so much,
Aimee and Michael!
Remembered by my husband
with these beautiful flowers.
Thank you, Walt.
"Happy Valentine's Day, Scrumchs.
Love, Walt"
And Remembered by Walt with
this box of chocolates!
It's the biggest box of chocolates
I've ever seen, let alone received!
Remembered by our daughter, Jen,
and Jerry and the Brewer Bunch.
Such beautiful lavender colors
in each bouquet! 
Thank you Jen and Jerry 
and Brewer kids!
Our kids
and grandkids know my
favorite color.
 
 Thank you, Brewers!
 The Millers in the ward brought
some delicious homemade
Valentine cookies.
How thoughtful.
 Maddie did some tiny braids in
her hair to see how they would
be when she unbraided them.
What a nice Valentine's Day!
Here's some fun news about two
of our grandchildren regarding BYU.
Our youngest daughter, Jennifer Petersen Brewer, 
who lives in Minnesota posted this today:
"I don’t often post about my kids accomplishments, but when both of the twins get into our alma mater, I have no choice but to become the braggy parent.
Honestly, I don’t even care if they go there... just seeing their smiles brought back all my college memories and gave me all the feels.
... and we may have sung rise and shout no less than 10 times today 😁."
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 15, 2020
Family is Everything... 
FEBRUARY 15, 2019 
Remembering Bonnie . . .
Walt's sister...
on her 90th Birthday.
Bonnie married Maurice "Mutt" Smith
in May 1947 in a garden wedding
at Grama Rie's home in
Wendell, Idaho.
Remembering Bonnie...pictured here
with her sister, Phyllis, taken in 1965.
Bonnie was 35 and Phyllis 33.
Wish it were in color-- 
Bonnie on the right had beautiful
blonde hair; Phyllis had
brilliant red hair.
Remembering...here are two of
Bonnie's 8 children: Kevin, Andrea.
Remembering Bonnie.
Family is Everything…
Remembering Walt's fun and feisty big sister
Bonnie today...on her 90th birthday remembrance.
Her brothers and sons and nephews loved
to throw her in the river.
Does anyone have that photo of her in the
1920's swim suit she and Aunt Thelma
made special for her to be thrown
in the river that one summer?
Can anyone send us a photo of Bonnie? 
Kevin sent this photo of his Mom, Bonnie,
with her sister Phyllis.
Left is Bonnie, Right is Phyllis.
Bonnie was two years older than Phyllis
This is what I posted on face book
about Bonnie's birthday remembrance.

Walt's sister Bonnie was born on February 15, 1930. We lost her in March 1990 to colon cancer just after she turned 60.
I'm posting Bonnie's photo that we have with her sister Phyllis.
The photo is from 1965 when Bonnie was 35 and Phyllis was 33. Phyllis's husband, Dale Bunn, gave this photo to Walt and me for Christmas about 5 years ago. He also gave the same photo to Dale & Connie--Walt's only brother and his darling wife.. We treasure this photo. Bonnie had beautiful blond hair and Phyllis had brilliant red hair. Walt's hair was a little reddish, and maybe Dale's was too. Walt and their Dad lost most of their hair, but that gene missed Dale because he still has a lot. Lucky man!
We lost Phyllis in August 2014, at the age of 82, from a fall combined with Alzhiemer's of eight years. We love and miss Bonnie and Phyllis.

I checked out the Google Doodle today and see that Susan B. Anthony was also born on Feb. 15th. Bonnie was fiesty like this Susan B. Anthony women's rights activist was.
We love Bonnie and still miss her.

Here's a little more about S.B.Anthony from Wikipedia:
"Susan B. Anthony was an American social reformer and women's rights activist who played a pivotal role in the women's suffrage movement. Born into a Quaker family committed to social equality, she collected anti-slavery petitions at the age of 17. Wikipedia
Born: February 15, 1820, Adams, MA
Help others by suggesting these missing facts:

Died: March 13, 1906, Rochester, NY
Full name: Susan Brownell Anthony
Siblings: Mary Stafford Anthony, Daniel Read Anthony, MORE
Quotes
Men, their rights, and nothing more; women, their rights, and nothing less.
I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand.
Independence is happiness."
*** *** ***

Marci came to
help Walt start his day.
This Physician Assistant came
today to inject Walt's knees.
 Walt's knees are "bone on bone."
 He gets an injection
to help relieve the pain.
Book Exchange Party... 
I was invited to a book exchange
party at Jennie Andersen's home
this evening.
Each guest brought a favorite treat.
Jennie made some gluten-free goodies.
How fun to meet new gals...
Connie, Sherri, Laurie, and Kathleen,
and Jennie's granddaughter,       ,
plus be with dear friends I have
made during this past year and a half
since we moved here: Nadine, Kathie,
Judy and Jennie.
Numbers were drawn, then each
gal chose a wrapped book in
the order of her number.
 When it was your turn, you could
either choose a wrapped book,
or take one that someone before
you had opened.
We each loved the book we chose from
the wrapped ones so much, that it 
ended up that no one wanted to 
take anyone else's book.
We all sang "Happy Bithday"
to Jennie to honor her
birthday coming February 19.
 What a fun evening it was.
The books were:
Wellness by Elder Theodore Tuttle's daughter.
Sane Poems for Insane Moments
and My Journey
which were written by
Laurie Kay Everett who
was one of the guests, and
who and her husband have
adopted 12 children, many
with special needs.
Other books were
The Book with No Pictures
A Miracle That Changed
the World - The 5000 Year Leap
by Cleone Skousen.
The Pioneer Woman Cook Book
need the names of the
four other books.
Jennie is sending me the photo
of the group taken by Andrew.
4
3
2
1
*** *** ***
Walt and I watched the BYU Basketball
game vs San Diego
The Cougars barely pulled
off the win by one point!
I think it was 72-71.
{It was announced the following
Monday that this win put BYU
#23 in the Top 25 College
Basketball Teams in the nation.}
They play the #1 Team - Gonzaga in
Provo on Saturday, February 22.
*** *** ***
Steve took Natalie to the Symphony
for her Valentine gift
It was a "Women Rock" night at
Abravanel Hall in Salt Lake City,
featuring songs from the 1980s.
They loved it!

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 16, 2020
Family is Everything... 
Happy Birthday today to our
missionary grandson --
Elder Carter Petersen
in the Brazil Salvador South Mission.
He's just been in his first area
two months and he had his
first baptism on his 19th birthday,
today - February 16, 2020.
What a day to remember!
*** *** ***
We can't go to Church anymore,
because Walt is too weak and
it disorients him too much,
but we did religious things
at home on this rainy day.
Today we watched the 
Tabernacle Choir broadcast,
then watched a most wonderful
presentation from 2009 on
BYU channel called
"Messiah."
We read the
Come, Follow Me
Lesson for Feb. 17-23,
then listened to
2 Nephi 12-25.
We also listened to 
Chapters 29-30-31 of
Saints 1815-1846 - 
The Standard of Truth.
*** *** ***
John cooked another delicious
Sunday dinner.
 Julie and Jacee will land at the
Salt Lake Airport this evening.
They have been in California with
the BYU Youth Ballroom Team.
We enjoy being together. 
Jackson took a close up photo of us.
As we are half-way through the
month of February, here is
a great definiton of
"true love."
 *** *** ***
We are so thankful for The Plan of Salvation
and the Atonement of  Jesus Christ
that makes this Great Plan operational.
At the end of this February 16th,
we pray you have had a 
restful , peaceful, and spiritual 
Sabbath Day...
 We share these truths as our testimony to you...
Heavenly Father lives and knows us each by name. He loves us and wants us to return to Him and Heavenly Mother when we leave this mortal existence.  He loves us just as we are at this very moment.
*** *** ***
Jesus Christ came to earth as The Only Begotten of the Father and fulfilled the Atonement. He is the Redeemer of all. 
*** *** ***
Joseph Smith was foreordained to be the Prophet of the Restoration.  He is the Restorer of all things.
*** *** ***
President Russell M. Nelson is the Living Prophet today for all the world. 
*** *** ***
The Bible is "the Word of God as far as it is translated correctly" and is a Testament of the Divinity of Jesus Christ.
*** *** ***
The Book of Mormon is the Word of God and is Another Testament of Jesus Christ. It is the most correct book of any book on earth.
*** *** ***
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the True Church on the earth today.  
*** *** ***
I am thankful for a husband who holds and honors the Priesthood of God. He has been the patriarch of our home in righteousness. I honor and love him with all my heart. We are eternal sweethearts, sealed as husband and wife in the temple of God by Priesthood Authority for time and for all eternity.
*** *** ***
Of these truths we testify 
in the Name of Jesus Christ, amen.
Walt and Eileen Petersen 
Saratoga Springs, Utah, U.S.A.
February 16, 2020



No comments: