Monday, September 26, 2016

Traces of Time . . . September 26-Oct 2, 2016

Traces of Time . . .
This week 
~ September 26, 2016 
October 2, 2016
in IDAHO ~

And now it's A U T U M N...

Monday - September 26, 2016

We received some very sad news this morning. Karen Taylor called us to tell us that Rosemary McBride Hoggan--one of Ruth McBride's sisters--had just called to tell her that Scott Budge, the 59-year-old son of Gerald and Ruth, had been killed yesterday in an airplane crash.

The news article we found on line said that he had received his pilot's license on January   , 2015.

Here is the news article:
Victims of fatal plane crash 
near Sky Manor Airport identified

FRANKLIN TWP. - The two people killed in Sunday's fatal airplane crash near Sky Manor Airport have been identified as Gerald Budge, 59, of Robbinsville, and Karen Lowe, 52, of Telford, Pa., the Hunterdon County Prosecutor's Office announced on Monday.

The Mooney M20 they were flying in crashed in a grassy field in a residential neighborhood about half a mile southwest of the runway at the small municipal airport at 12:29 p.m. on Sunday.

Budge was issued a private pilot license on Jan. 11, 2015, according to the Federal Aviation Administration. The plane was flown out of the Trenton–Robbinsville Airport on Sunday.
"At 12:29 p.m. Hunterdon County 911 Dispatch Center received a call of an aircraft down," Hunterdon County Chief of Detectives John Kuczynski said on Sunday. He also spoke at the scene of the crash; a video can be found here.

"The aircraft was apparently coming in for a landing and subsequently witnesses saw the aircraft go down," Kuczynski said.  2 killed in plane crash near Sky Manor Airport 

There was no damage to any property near Sky Manor and Oak Summit roads, where the plane was recovered. The exact cause of the crash remains under investigation. The National Transportation Safety Board and the FAA are investigating the crash, Kuczynski said on Sunday.

Alexia Hughes, a Bucks County, Pa. resident, said she was part of a large crowd watching planes take off and land outside the Sky Cafe restaurant at the airport. They saw a small plane try to land and come in too fast.
"Instead of aborting the landing, he continued to try to land and ran out of runway," she said.
The plane then pulled up, barely clearing trees at the end of the runway, Hughes said. It tilted up and to the left before losing lift and crashing.

Kevin Shea of NJ Advance Media contributed to this report.
Craig Turpin may be reached at Follow him on Twitter @NJeditor. Find on Facebook.
Our editors found this article on this site using Google and regenerated it for our readers.

Tuesday - September 27, 2016

I ran some errands this afternoon, then we went home teaching to Jean and Marizza.   And now we have two more to e-mail.  We love those with whom we get to serve.

Wednesday - September 28, 2016

next  Today marks the 53rd temple session we have rendezvouses with Walt's brother and wife, Dale and Connie Petersen since we began on April 15, 2015.  We did 25 sessions in 2015 and now in 2016 this marks our 28th session together.  It is a GREAT TRADITION!

Thursday - September 29, 2016

(I've copied two different year's posts about there will be a few repeats.)

Anniversary dRemembrance
79 years ago today
Arnold Verna
were married...

Remembering my Mom and Dad’s 
“79th” Wedding Anniversary.
   September 29, 1937 they eloped.

    My Dad was 24, my Mom 17 ¾ .
Arnold George Albertson - Verna Beth Huffaker - 
September 1937

Arnold and Verna
My parents on their 25th Wedding Anniversary
–September 29, 1962.

Daddy age 49, Mom age 42
They would be together for just 19 1/2 years 
more for a total of 44 1/2 years on this earth.

Here's a good photo of them in the line at our 

wedding reception on June 17, 1961.  

They had been sealed on June 14, 1961, 

in the Salt Lake Temple on the day Walt and I were 

married in that Temple.

***** They are now together for eternity.
Mom stopped having her hair colored at the age of 70, while she was serving a mission in the London England South Mission - 1989 to 1991.

Arnold and Verna Albertson’s Posterity – September 2016
    “Grampa A and Grama A”
      2 children, 11 grandchildren, 49 great-grandchildren,  4 great-great grandchildren.
1912 Arnold George Albertson Dec 8
  Spouse: 1920 Verna Beth Huffaker Albertson 14Jan Md 29Sep1937
(I did list the names all the grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and great-great grandchildren but for privacy I have taken their names out.  When I have this year's blog made into a published book, I will put their names back in for our family.)

Now going back to 2014 and 2013 for their anniversary remembrance....


I posted this September 29th or 2013 and 2014, but am sharing again in case you missed it.  I've added some more photos and remembrances, also.

 I've updated it to "79th..."  They had been married 44 years when my Dad passed away on Feb. 6, 1982 after a 6-month battle with colon cancer.  My Mom passed away on July 26, 2013 at the age of 93. So she had been a widow for 31 years.  

She often said after his death: "I miss Arnold more each year."
   Now their eternal love is recorded in the sands of time and in the temple records.

     Today is the 79th Wedding Anniversary Remembrance 
for my Mom and Dad.
Verna Huffaker and Arnold Albertson
September 1937
Photo taken in photo booth at the Jerome County Fair
a couple of weeks before they eloped.
"This is as close to a wedding photo that we have," 
my Mom told me.
Here Mom is at age 15 when my Dad fell in love with her.

         .........back on September 29, 1937, 
Arnold Albertson, age 24, 
said to Verna Huffaker, age 17:
"I dare you to elope."

Verna said back: 
"I double dare you."
         They told their best friends...
Here are my Mom's words from her life story:
"An Idaho Girl" 
   A dare to get married: 
To elope or not to elope? …that is the question

            Arnold, evidently had gone to Hagerman to see his old girlfriend.  I’m pretty sure that he had, on the rebound, asked her if she would marry him because he knew that she was really in love with him.
            On Tuesday he come out after school and wanted to talk to me.
            “I dare you to get married,” he said.
            For some cotton pickin’ reason I said, “I double dare you.”  That was a popular saying.  So we decided to get married.
            I went in to the house and got ready.  I wore one of the outfits that I had bought with my Café money--a pretty two-piece blue knit dress. {Verna had worked all summer in Bliss--16 miles from Wendell to earn money for her Senior year of high school.}

            We went and got Marie [Richardson] and Ralph [Rogers], our best friends, and told them what we were doing and wanted to know if they wanted to go and get married, too.  They did.  
            We drove down to Hagerman.  Arnold had to stop at his old girlfriend’s house, and it seemed like he was in there an hour talking to her.  
When he come out we took off for Hailey.
            It was about a two-hour drive from Wendell to Hailey.  We couldn’t get our marriage licenses until the next morning when the court house opened.  Marie and I stayed together that night at a room in the Hiawatha Hotel.  
       Arnold and Ralph stayed together in another room.             
            That was the first time Marie and I 
had ever seen a big indoor bathtub. 
            The next morning when we got up we decided we’d have some fun in that bathtub.  
We filled it as far as it would go 
and we just sit there and splashed around 
and was having a good old time.
            We didn’t know that Arnold and Ralph had gone to a jewelry store in town to each buy a gold wedding ring.  The rings were the same.  They cost $7.00 each.  
[That would have been a little over two day’s pay.]  
This is the wedding band I still wear.
            When they come back, we didn’t hear them knock on our door so they thought we had backed out and gone home.  They went down to the bus and train stations 
to see if we’d been there.
            By the time they got back, we were dressed and ready.  We ate breakfast at the hotel café 
then went to the court house to get the license.  
When Arnold saw the line for the birthdate 
he whispered to me,
“You better put 1919.”
            “I already did,” I whispered back.
            We didn’t have to have a blood test at that time.  
The license probably cost a dollar.

It was about one o’clock by the time we went to the Episcopalian minister’s home.
            I almost backed out.  I can remember going up that walk, reaching down to pick up a rock, and thinking, 
“Do I really want to do this?”   
I can remember during the ceremony thinking, 
“I wish my Dad would walk through that door and stop me.”
            The minister’s wife played the piano.  
Arnold and I were married, then Ralph and Marie.
            I loved Arnold but by then I was a scrambled egg.  I had four guys that I thought I liked 
but I was so overwhelmed that Arnold could feel that way.  Arnold was head over heals in love with me.  
In fact, it kinda bowled me over to think he loved me so much that he cried when he thought he was losing me.  
I couldn’t believe that anyone could feel that way.  
I thought it was just awesome that he would love me that much to cry if I wanted to go with somebody else.
            When we got to my house after the wedding there was this letter from Harold, signed “Love, Harold.”   
I had to sit down and write to him 
that I had gotten married that day.  
I often wondered what he thought when he got that letter?
            In his letter Harold said  
“maybe you will get your feelings back for Arnold,” 
or something like that because we had talked about it.  
I had told Harold I wasn’t sure 
that I was in love with Arnold anymore.  
Harold and I hadn’t even gotten 
past the holding-hands stage. 
                We went to tell Mother and Dad we was married.  Mother was out hanging up clothes 
and I just walked out there and told her.  
I guess they could have had 
the marriage annulled since I was not yet 18 years old.
            “Well, if I’d known you wanted to get married, we could have had a garden wedding for you here,”
 Mother said.  
            Then we four newlyweds drove to Twin Falls.  
We went to a movie at the Orpheum theater downtown.  
I don’t remember what the movie was.  
Arnold and Ralph checked us into rooms 
at the Rogerson Hotel [it was just torn down in 2016] 
a couple of blocks east of the theater. 
            Arnold had drawn his next week’s salary 
        from Owen at the Sport Shop,
 and we’ve been a week behind ever since.

Wedding Shower

            The next week my mutual class gave us 
a wedding shower at Mom and Dad’s house.  
Arnold drove down to Hagerman 
and brought his mother to it.  
She just sat on a chair toward the back 
the whole time without saying a word.  
My mother got a little upset because 
she said Blanche hadn’t put forth 
an effort to talk or get acquainted with anyone.  
However, I learned it was because 
she was so extremely shy around people.  
She didn’t even talk much around her own children.
            I knew that the school didn’t allow married students so I went and got my deposit for my locker.  
I think it was a dollar and a half.
 Mother and Dad moved to the Basinger place at this time...
And we lived happily ever after . . . or mostly happily.

Here they are on the left at our 
wedding reception June 17, 2014, 
three days after they were sealed.

Wish we had this photo in color.
My Mom wore a pink dress.
Walt's mother had a beige dress.
My colors for the reception were lavender and white.
They were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple 
on June 14, 1961,
the day Walt and I were sealed.

I think this photo is in September 1962 for their 
25th Wedding Anniversary. Arnold, age 49; Verna 42.

My Dad passed away on February 6, 1982,
at age 69 of colon cancer.
My Mom was a widow for 31 years.
She passed away on July 26, 2013, at age 93.

This is our family is June 1962.
Mom, age 42; Dad age 50, my sister age 13, and me age 23.
Walt and I had driven from St. Louis 
to be with our parents in Idaho
for a vacation during our first wedding anniversary and
after Walt's third year of medical school.

Now for September 29 in 2016...
Today we got to go to a fun Central America mission reunion dinner to be with those whom we worked with in Guatemala, Belize, San Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama during our time as medical advisor and assistant from March 2005 to February 2007.

The dinner was in North Salt Lake at the home of Scott and Janis Farrell who were the mission president and wife of the Honduras Tegucigalpa Mission July 2005 to July 2008.

Guests were Elder Shirley Dean and Marlene Christensen.
Elder Christensen served in the Second Quorum of the Seventy from 2003 to 2009.  They are a charming couple.

Robert and Michele Call from The Colonies in Mexico were mission president and wife of the El Salvador San Salvador East and Belize Mission(maybe e it was theWest; we just know that in July 2013 Belize was added to the West Mission), and have now been called as Temple President and Matron of the Tuxtla Guitérrez México Temple in Chiapas beginning November 1, 2016. 
They will be a blessing to the members of that temple district.
   We are sad we won't see them again until October of 2020.

And we--Walt and Eileen Petersen--whom most of you know have served four missions, being out of the U.S.A for 9 1/2 years over the past 20 years:
Mexico Merida July 1995-July 1998; Central America Area, Medical Advisor for 12 missions in the 7 countries, living in Guatemala City March 2005 to February 2007; South America South Area Oct 2008 to March 2010 as Medical Advisor for 14 missions in Argentina, Uruguay, and Paraguay, living in Buenos Aires.  Then as Temple President and Matron of the new San Salvador El Salvador Temple, July 2011 through October 2014.  We can't believe we've been home almost two years.

The Farrells are always a marvelous host and hostess and we enjoyed a delicious dinner.
Here is everyone together.

Our dear friends, D. Kelly and Marcia Ogden, who served as the Guatemala MTC President and wife from Jan 2006 to Jan 2008, were unable to come because of his recent back surgery and her ongoing back problems.
Here is a photo of them in May-June 2010 when President Ogden taught us "In the Footsteps of Paul the Apostle" on a ten-day Mediterranean Cruise.  Elder Ernesto y Hna. Nuria Martinez and family were also on that cruise, as were Dave and Pat, who also served in Guatemala.

We missed them and the others who were not able to come.  We enjoyed talking with each other until ten o'clock.  Sharing memories and updates for each couple.

We got to Julie and John's home in Saratoga Springs right at eleven o'clock.

Friday - September 30, 2016

Jacee walked to the bus right at 7:30 this morning.  I couldn't get to my camera until she was about at the corner so I had to zoom way in on her.  She walks fast. 

A beautiful sunrise in Utah Valley today.

Today we got to help take care of Rigdon while Julie has flown to Tennessee to spend two days with her brother, Brian.  Jackson and Maddie helped us.
It sprinkled just a little, then the sun came out and it was a sunny day.
Jackson played outside with his little brother for over half and hour.  Jackson and Maddie have been really good with Rigdon.
Rigdon was really good at throwing the frisbies.
It's always fun to be with our grandchildren.  Jackson swang so high he was above the top of the swings.
Here they come running in from outside.
Jackson was so good with his brother...very sweet playing with him and making sure he knew where he was at all times.
Rigdon did a little "re-decorating" of the spooky Halloween spider.
Grampa went out to check out "The Peterson Pumpkin Patch."

Grampa got a photo of me and the pumpkin patch...well part of me and the p.patch.
So he took another shot.
Then it was time to say good-bye to a very fun day with the Saratoga Springs' PetersOns.
John got home right at four o'clock. Iwas sad I hadn't figured out something to cook for supper for them all.
Rigdon was sleeping when Jacee got home from school.  He was really happy to see her when he woke up.
Maddie helped thru the morning and afternoon.  Then after school her Dad told her she could play with her friends.
It was a delightful day.  We got to Gary's home about 5:30.

Saturday - October 1, 2016

General Conference is always a special time.  This is the 186th semi-annual Conference since The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized on April 6, 1830.  President Thomas S. Monson, in his 11th year as the Prophet, presided.

Between sessions, Gary and Walt dashed to the store to get a bigger cookie sheet and some cocoa. The plan is I'll bake a Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake while the guys are in Priesthood.

They're back...
Now we're going to watch the Afternoon Session of the Saturday, Oct. 1, 2016 General Conference...
General Conference... The Prophet hasn't spoken yet...Pres. Uchtdorf gave the first talk Saturday this morning. This is a photo of Pres. Monson in 2014...He looks much more frail this morning when he walked in being helped by his body guard.

Then the families will come to Gary's for the traditional treats after.

Walt also had the blessing of being asked by his grandson, Kimble Petersen, to give him a patriarchal blessing.

Following this we had dinner with their family and then Walt and his sons, Gary, Steve, David, and son-in-law, John, plus grandsons Jacob, Kimble, Carter, Joshua, and Jackson, all went to Priesthood together.  Jackson just turned 12 on September 9th, so this is his first General Priesthood Meeting.

Then the guys gathered with the gals and younger grandkids for treats.

Sunday - October 2, 2016

This morning was the 5th session of General Conference and this afternoon the 6th and final session for this 186th semi-annual gathering.

No comments: