Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Traces of Time . . . May 31 to June 6, 2021

 Traces of Time . . .                       (To see last week's  blog post--scroll down to the end, then the Week of May 24-30, 2021 will be there. If it's not, hit "Older Posts." at the bottom right.) 

THIS WEEK- 
MAY 31- JUNE 6, 2021
MONDAY, MAY 31, 2021 
Family is Everything…
 Commeration of Memorial Day
 Saturday we put flowers on Aunt Tess Prescott Julian's and
Uncle Austin Julian's graves at Camp Williams

Sunday we did the 6 Albertson graves: Charles Henry, born in 1845, who served in the Civil War at age 18. We have a photo of him in his Civil War uniform...

 

Charles Henry and Mary Ann Hepworth Albertson with their first two childen: Charles Henry, Jr., and
Headstone of Charles, his wife Mary Ann (but it says Mary Jane, which we think is a mistake) and their son Thomas.
The only photo I have of my Grandfather Clarence Albertson
1887-1955 - Age 
He is the 11th or 12th child of the 13 children of Charles and Mary Ann.
and

 As Julie and Heidi were driving out slowly, looking at the headstones, Heidi spied an Albertson grave, and behind a big lilac bush were 5 more Albertson graves that we didn't know were there.
...back to this morning, Monday, May 31.
 This morning we--Gary, Janie, Heidi, and I--got some flowers from our Burley home with permission, of course, from Ali. So fun to talk with Brent and Cindy Young as they were on a morning walk on Burton Avenue. But the photo that I took of them didn't "take."😰
Then we drove to the Hageman Cemetery where we put flowers on 8 Albertson and three Smith graves...
my Grama Blanche Ilene Hartwell Albertson, my Dad's mother (whom I'm named after...my Mom changed the spelling to "Eileen" after she saw it spelled that way in a magazine story).
(Looking for photo of her headstone)
Blanche I. Albertson is on her headstone
4 Jan 1894 - 26 July 1966 - Age 76
Her son, my Uncle - Warren D. Albertson 1915 - 19

and his wife, my Aunt - Vida Ricks Albertson 19__-20__

Their son, my cousin - Wayne 1940-____ he died of a brain tumor.

Their son, my cousin, David 1944-1946,                                                               he drowned at age 2 in Hagerman
 My Uncle, Tom Albertson 1920-199_ Age

My Aunt Maxine Owsley Albertson, 1925-20__

and Bonnie's first husband, Walt's brother-in-law,
Maurice "Mutt" Smith - 192_-     Age

Bonnie and Mutt's son, our nephew, Larry Smith 1951-1985 Age 33
died in a plane crash trying to land in his Dad's pasture
in Bliss...in the Hagerman Valley. He had just finished pilot lessons.
And another son of Bonnie and Mutt's sons, Brent Smith -1953-2010? Age 57? dates just out of my head for now..,
Brent's headstone--
Brent's headstone--


Brent is buried by his Dad's second wife, 
so I guess she was Brent's step-mother, who everyone said was
very kind, a talented musician.
(These dates are just out of my head. I have to look up for exactness.)
 Bonnie and Mutt's other two children, Bonnie Ann and Jeff are still living. Bonnie Ann lives in Bliss, and we don't know where Jeff is.
Then we drove up the Varner Grade out of the Hagerman Valley, the 8 miles
back east to the Wendell Cemetery to put flowers on 28 graves.
We got their at 10:57--just in time for the eleven o'clock Military Service.
Shawn also arrived then with Michael, Sam and Sarah, and Pono.
I told them that Grama Jane was smiling down on us because she always wanted us to take time out to go to this Veteran's program...and it was only about 15 minutes long.

We had a serendipity after the service when we waked over to our Huffaker and Albertson graves when Michael and Candace and family pulled up at the same time to put flowers 
on Grampa 'n Grama A's graves.
Eileen with Janice's son Michael, his wife Candace, and four kids.

Michael and Candace, Justin, Ryan, Kate, Grant Robertson.

TUESDAY, JUNE 1, 2021 
Family is Everything…
 Celebration

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 2, 2021 
Family is Everything…
 Ladies' Lunch today was at
the Strap Tank at Traverse Mountain,
Thanksgiving Point
Ladies' Lunch
Ladies' Lunch
The five who were able to come:
Tammy, Kaye, Linda,
Judy, Eileen.
Ladies' Lunch
Ladies' Lunch
Ladies' Lunch
Ladies' Lunch
Ladies' Lunch
Ladies' Lunch
Ladies' Lunch
Ladies' Lunch
We miss those who were out of town or
otherwise couldn't come today.
*** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Our Wednesday night with Gary tonight
was an old movie from 1938...
"Pygmalion"
with Leslie Howard as Professor Higgins
and Wendy Hiller  as Eliza Doolittle

Pygmalion is a 1938 British film based on the 1913 George Bernard Shaw play of the same name, and adapted by him for the screen. It stars Leslie Howard as Professor Henry Higgins and Wendy Hiller as Eliza Doolittle.

The film was a financial and critical success, and won an Oscar for Best Screenplay and three more nominations; Best PictureBest Actor (Howard) and Best Actress (Hiller). The screenplay later was adapted into the 1956 theatrical musical My Fair Lady, which in turn led to the 1964 film of the same name.

The next year, 1939, Leslie Howard was in
"Gone With the Wind" as Ashley Wilkes, whom
Scarlett O'Hara was in love with.
He died in 1943 during World War II when
his plane went down flying from Spain.
THURSDAY, JUNE 3, 2021 
Family is Everything…
 Celebration

FRIDAY, JUNE 4, 2021 
Family is Everything…
 Celebration


SATURDAY, JUNE 5, 2021 
Family is Everything…
 Celebration
Eagle Mountain Parade
Camie, Melanie, Julie, Eileen
These gals know how to do a parade:
Eagle Mountain Parade
Eagle Mountain Parade
Eagle Mountain Parade
Mountain Parade
Eagle Mountain Parade 
Eagle Mountain Parade
Eagle Mountain Parade 
Eagle Mountain Parade
Eagle Mountain Parade
Eagle Mountain Parade
Eagle Mountain Parade
Mountain Parade
Eagle Mountain Parade
Eagle Mountain Parade
Grampa Petersen's dream car...
A 1938 or 1940 Ford Roadster wiith rumble seat
Eagle Mountain Parade
Eagle Mountain Parade
Eagle Mountain Parade
Eagle Mountain Parade
Eagle Mountain Parade
Eagle Mountain Parade
Eagle Mountain Parade
Eagle Mountain Parade
Mountain Parade


SUNDAY, JUNE 6, 2021 
Family is Everything…
 Sabbath Day...
Julie and Eileen
John is sick today.



I shared my testimony today because
in reading the Come, Follow Me lesson for
today, I read in Doctrine and Covenants 62:3
"Nevertheless, ye are blessed, for the testimony
which ye have borne is recorded in heaven
for the angels to look upon; 
and they rejoice over you, and
your sins are forgiven you."
Gospel Doctrine class was phenominal!
President Beecher is an excellent teacher.
To start with, he introduced each person in the room,
by their last names, and then first name. It was so good for us new ones in the ward who haven't been able to figure out who everyone is, yet.
Then, was he called on us for comments, he always used the person's name. He also said he would call on those who didn't raise their hands because he's learned that it's easy for some to raise their hand to comment, but for some it's not easy to raise their hand even tho they would like to comment.
That's how I was in school, always, too shy to raise my hand but the teachers figured out that I most always knew the correct answer, so they started just calling on me if no one got it right.
I remember when we were Freshman in high school, one of the best teachers there--Mr. Lamb--asked us the first day: "What is the difference between knowledge and wisdom?" My thought was that "wisdom is the correct use of knowledge," but I was too afraid to raise my hand. After many answered, but incorrectly, he told us "wisdom is the correct use of knowledge." I was always sad I hadn't raised my hand.

President Beecher had us read: Doctrine & Covenants 57: 8, 11, 14, 15. It brought out that the Lord wants us to "plant" ourselves.
Next, how many felt that you were guided or inspired to move to Saratoga Spring? Many raised their hands.
He asked how we were doing with "divine design" in our lives...citing quotes from "By Divine Design" Elder Rasband, Oct. 2017.
Class discussion brought out:
"Assume that God is always there."
"Ask what am I supposed to learn from this?"
"Why is this happening for me?"
"Practice seeing His Hand."
"We can always prosper."
Next, President Russell M. Nelson's Oct. 2020 Conference talk: "Let God Prevail" was cited. President Beecher said he was surprised that of all that was going on in the world at that time, that what caught the Prophet's attention was the "gathering of Israel."
He asked us to give a simple answer to:
"I'm helping to gather Israel when I ____________.
Some of the answers were:
"Teach my children."
"Do family history."
"Bring my family to Church."
D&C 59:9-13 ...focus...remember
Brother Witham pointed out that Matthew 26 says "a broken heart and and a contrite spirit" is the key.
From other comments, President Beecher wrote this on the board:
"Fasting = hungering and thirsting after righteousness 
which = J O Y !
    He concluded with this scripture:
2 Nephi 9:18
"But, behold, the righteous, the saints of the Holy One of Israel, they who have believed in the Holy One of Israel, they who have endured the crosses of the world, and despised the shame of it, they shall inherit the kingdom of God, which was prepared for them from the foundation of the world, and their JOY SHALL BE FULL FOREVER."
*** *** *** *** *** *** ***
We gathered for Sunday dinner at 4:00, cooked by John, who is feeling a little better. Julie was at a Young Women meeting.
At the end of this June 6th,
I pray you have had a
restful , peaceful, and spiritual
Sabbath Day...
*I am so thankful for The Plan of Salvation and 
the Atonement of  Jesus Christ that makes 
this Great Plan operational.
This is what I shared today as my testimony...
As much as I can remember, because it wasn't written down, nor had I even thought through what I would say. 'Good morning, Brothers and Sisters. As I was studying our Sunday School lesson for today, I read  the scripture [D&C 62:3 I couldn't remember reference at the time] that said our tesimonies are recorded in heaven. It hit me that Walt is probably disappointed in me not having borne my testimony for a long time, so I better get up and do it. (I'll finish this tomorrow...it's getting late and my brain is shutting down.)
*** *** ***
Of these truths I testify in the Name of Jesus Christ, amen.
Eileen Petersen
June 6, 2021


  

No comments: