Monday, May 18, 2015

This week in Burley, IDAHO - May 18-24, 2015

This week in Burley, IDAHO - May 18 to May 24, 2013
   I wanted to post about today's emergency trip to my dentist here in Burley, then his referring me to Twin Falls to get a root canal TODAY!  At least I didn't have overnight to dread it because last night I didn't know it would happen.

May 18, 2015 - Monday 
Last night when I was flossing my teeth (the last thing I do before turning out the lights), my crown on the bottom left side popped off.  This morning when I called, Dr. Kevin Stock had an opening at 10:35, so I dashed over.
He said it was tooth #18, and needed a root canal because it was severley abscessed and that it needed to be done by a root canal specialist in Twin Falls today.

They called Dr. Cameron Oler in Twin and he said he would work me in at noon.  It was 11:00 then.  First he assured me that I would still be able to help Walt give the presentation tonight for the Burley 9th Ward family home evening.

We got to Twin at 12:05, were in the area of his office by 12:10, but it took several more minutes after going into the wrong dentist's office to find Dr. Oler's suite.

He asked about the presentation we were giving tonight so found out we had been in El Salvador for 3 years.  After he examined my tooth and deadened my mouth in about 5 or 6 places, he had the root canal done in 30 minutes.

He said that I must have had guardian angels watching over me, because it looked like it had been abscessed for a long time, and it should have been hurting, then added "hurting a lot!"

He prescribed an antibiotic--4 pills a day.  He also sent me with a prescription for pain pills.  He said it might hurt and it might not.  It's been 4 hours now and as the deadening is coming out, it is starting to hurt.

I just hope I will be able to talk by 7:00 tonight.

Because we had just a moment's notice to get to my dentist here, and then had to head right from there to Twin Falls, below is how I looked--no shower, no shampooing, no make up, and no fussing with my hair.  

No wonder he didn't give me an appointment to come back again.
I do have to have a crown put back on it by Dr. Stock.
Walt kept telling me to smile for the photo.
"I don't feel like smiling," I said.
  Walt drove on the way back from Twin Falls.  He said he did okay but didn't feel very secure driving after not having driven since his hip surgery on February 20.  He did smile a little for his photo, after he raised his eyebrows that I wanted a picture of him.

Love, Mom & Dad

Same day....Monday evening 6:30.  We headed over to Luke's home to be there to set up our power point projector and computer.  We went to the home they had lived in for over 30 years--the red brick one on 27th Street.  They don't live there anymore.
We drove around to what we thought we had heard Brother Luke say they lived. I had it all mixed up.

So we drove back to our home to see if I had LynAnn's phone number written down.  I didn't.  I looked in our phone book for "Hal Luke" and it had 2545 Normal Avenue.  Walt called him and he gave us directions to where they live.

Finally we got there by 6:45.  They told us they built this home 24 years ago.  Are we ever out of their loop!  But we had everything set up okay by 7:02.  Sister Monson brought a wonderful fold up table just the right size for the projector and the computer. (She said she's been trying to find another like it at Costco--where she got this one--but they don't have this kind any more.)

Susan Tuft brought the screen--so we were all set.
After the prayer and their announcing for June, July, and August gatherings, and some kind words about us from LynAnn, we got started about 7:15, and finished at 8:13, so we were about 15 minutes longer than we thought we'd be.
We had set some of our El Salvador souvenirs out on their table.  Everyone was amazed--as we still are-- at the "art embroidery" framed picture that Hna. Eugenia Maria Padilla, our Thursday morning Temple Coordinadora from Santa Ana (an hour's drive from the temple) had taken 8 months to complete.
Then they served delicious homemade brownies topped with ice cream and homemade chocolate sauce.  
We thank Guy Arnell (he is in this photo dishing up the ice cream) for carrying in our box of souvenirs and the projector, then carrying it all back to our car, plus the computer. 
LynAnn had called us to speak, and helped arrange for the things we needed.  We were especially thankful we didn't have to load our big screen which doesn't fit in the car or the trunk. Has to be in the back of the pickup. (This is why Walt had come to get it at the home on Feb. 19 after I finished my presentation on El Salvador there.  That's when he tripped on the curb and fell onto the driveway and broke his hip.)
Susan brought the refreshments.
I got this group photo of the 15 there before everyone started leaving.  We missed Steve Tuft who was on an assignment in Boise.  Two more couples who are in this FHE group are currently serving missions: Keith and Beverly Ramsey in Nauvoo, Gary and Glenna Turner in the Palmyra Temple.
Walt took this photo so I could be in it.  In the foreground you can see the framed art embroidery picture.
Hal and Barbara Luke's home is beautiful--inside and outside. In the photo above they are sitting in the right front.
They have 5 children, 30 grandchildren, and I think they said 56 great grand-children, with two more on the way.  What a great posterity!  I think she said there are 102 in their family.
They have a wonderful photo of 72 of them standing on the bank of the Snake River.
The spirit was very strong in their beautiful home.  They are a wonderful host and hostess.
We thank all those who brought the screen, the table, and arranged everything for us.  Thank you for inviting us to come and share some of our experiences during our three years serving in the San Salvador El Salvador Temple.  
We wish we could have shared some of the sacred experiences that happened in the temple.  We should have shared that the families there have the same hopes and dreams of being families together forever.
Many do not have cars, and some areas of the city where they live are dangerous (because of gangs), so most cannot stay until closing time of the temple (9:30p.m. on weekdays (the afternoon shift begins at 1:15p.m. for the preparation meeting) and closes at 6:30p.m. on Saturdays when the "afternoon" preparation meeting is at 10:15 a.m.
The morning preparation meetings on Tue-Fri begin at 6:15 a.m., first session at 7:00 a.m. - then every hour and a half with the last session beginning at 7:00 p.m. and on Saturday mornings at 4:45 a.m. with the session beginning at 5:30 a.m.  and the last session at 4:00 p.m.  
The member of the temple presidency who is on that shift opens the temple at 5:15 a.m. Tues-Fri; then at 4:00 a.m. on Saturday.
  My favorite quote about the temple endowment is from Brigham Young.
            Temple Endowment
ENDOWMENT: "a gift.”
“A Celestial Course of Instruction”

Brigham Young said:
              “Your endowment is, to receive all those ordinances in the House of the Lord which are necessary for you, after you have departed this life, to enable you to walk back to the presence of the Father, passing the angels who stand as sentinels being enabled to give them the key words, the signs and tokens, pertaining to the Holy Priesthood, and gain your eternal exaltation…”                  

 Another favorite is... 
            President Harold B. Lee added this dimension to our understanding of the endowment:  "The temple ceremonies are designed by a wise Heavenly Father who has revealed them to us in these last days as a guide and protection throughout our lives that you and I might not fail of an exaltation in the Celestial kingdom where God and Christ dwell."  --Through Temple Doors, John K. Edmunds, p. 141--Harold B. Lee, Decisions for Successful Living (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1978), p. 141. 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

May 19,  2015 - Tuesday

May 20,  2015 - Wednesday

May 21,  2015 - Thursday

May 22,  2015 - Friday

May 23,  2015 - Saturday
Have snowballs an 10 pots of mums...on our way to Wendell...

May 24,  2015 - Sunday

No comments: