Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day in El Salvador...

Today I am going to post about Mother's Day...
    We put a tribute to each of our mothers on our front door.
Walt's mother - Jane Maria Prescott Petersen and my mother - Verna Beth Huffaker Albertson are in this photo with us at our wedding reception in June 1961.
Jane would have been 50 years old, and my Mom, Verna, would have been 41 years old.
Walt's mother - Jane Maria Prescott Petersen was born October 20, 1910 in Smithfield, Utah where her Mom, Maria Smith Prescott went from their home in Cleveland, Idaho, to be where her parents lived.
   The only photo of Jane I can find is on a whole page with her family. This is from Grama Rie's Book of Remembrance.
     She passed away in February 2001, after she had turned 90 in October 2000, at age 90.
      

My Mom, Verna Beth Huffaker Albertson was born January 14, 1920 in Rigby, Jefferson County, Idaho.  She passed away last summer - July 26, 2013, at age 93.

     They were each great mothers, whom we love very much.  We know they are doing much good on the other side of the veil.

I've started "My Journey to Motherhood" which I will post when I get it finished in a week or two.   

Walt had to leave at 6:30 this morning, but he did bring me breakfast in bed for Mother's Day...having just time to do orange juice and toast. 
I thought it might be my first Mother's Day in 50 years to not have breakfast in bed.
And then our stake president, Jaime López, drove him off to the Regional Correlation Council at Ilopango.
After Church, the Haroldsen's invited us to dinner, along with Sean (I don't know how to spell his last name) who is here from Kaysville, Utah, working with the Claro television company for two weeks--something about the technical procedures.  He came to do a session in the temple yesterday afternoon, after we had finished our shift.  
Walt arrived toward the end of dinner.  We appreciated their kindness in having us over on this Mother's Day.
We invited Sean over to see the Temple President's apartment and view the temple from our second floor terrace patio.  As everyone does, he loved seeing the temple from there.
We hope you have had a peaceful and restful Sabbath day and a Happy Mother's Day.
C. S. Lewis has a great quote about mothers -- the homemaker.
And, one more quote about mothers:

And now...about my eternal sweetheart:
Walt is gaining strength every day and this afternoon said: "I think I'm strong enough to resume our regular 9-hour shifts at the temple now."  His counselors have been baby-ing him and letting him do only 4 to 5-hour shifts each day.
We are so thankful for their kindness and watchfulness of him.  

In Relief Society, at the start of Teachings of Presidents of the Church--Joseph Fielding Smith Lesson #9 "Witnesses of the Book of Mormon," our darling Relief Society President, Karina Artiga, had us each write our testimony and witness of the Book of Mormon.
She always teaches so well and has wonderful visual aids to help us understand better.
  So I will close with our testimony of the Book of Mormon.  It is another testament of Jesus Christ.  The first testament of Jesus Christ, of course, is the Bible.
The Book of Mormon is the word of God to lead us to Jesus Christ and onward to eternal life.  To help us not be deceived by Satan in these latter days.  
     We invite you to read it.  It will change your life for the better.
What you have is good, but there is more.  We share this so that when we all pass from this life to the next, you cannot come up to us and ask: "Why didn't you share with us what you knew and had?"
      In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
 Now, I'm going to watch one of our Bible DVD's with Walt.  I need to figure out another time to blog because I've been neglecting my husband on Sunday evenings.  Walt had a 6 1/2 hour meeting this morning leaving here at 6:30 and returning at 2:30. 
So I haven't been with him a lot.

No comments: