Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Goodbye October...
      Hello November...the "thankfulness month"
Our week...
     Sunday, November 4
This afternoon we were invited to speak at the Los Alpes Ward in the San Salvador Stake, which is in the suburb San Marcos.
It only took Hno. Alvarenga 15 minutes to drive us from the temple to there.
It was for the endowed members of the ward. I spoke for about 7 minutes, starting by sharing my story about going to the temple for the first time. I was very nervous because I didn't know anything about temples and my parents were also going for the first time, so there had been no temple activity while I was growing up.
Even though there is a lot to learn in the temple -- it is the Lord's University -- I didn't know I just had to remember two things -- one of them being to record how I felt on this very special day.



  
I told them since that day - June 14, 1961 - 51 years ago, I have been able to go to many different temples hundreds of times, and each time I learn something new.

We don't share the ordinances from the temple because they are sacred.
However, it is okay to quote what the Prophets, Apostles, and General Authorities have
had printed in books or talks about the temple and temple work.
I quoted most of my favorite quotes about the temple:
             "We should give more attention to preparation to go to the temple."
                                                                                 -- Elder John A. Widstoe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ENDOWMENT: "a gift.” “A Celestial Course of Instruction.” Brigham Young said:
“Your endowment is, to receive all those ordinances in the House of  the Lord which are necessary for you, after you have departed this life, to
            enable you to walk back to the presence of the Father, passing the angels who
            stand as sentinels being enabled to give them the key words, the signs and
tokens, pertaining to the Holy Priesthood, and gain your eternal exaltation…”                  
~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The temple endowment relates the story of man's eternal journey;
            sets the conditions upon which progress in the eternal worlds depends;
            requires covenants or agreements of those participating to accept and use
            the laws of progress; gives tests by which our willingness and fitness for
            righteousness may be known, and finally points out the ultimate destiny of
            those who love truth and live by it."                  -- Elder John A. Widstoe
                                                                       
            President Harold B. Lee adds this dimension to our understanding of the endowment:  "The temple ceremonies are designed by a wise Heavenly Father who has revealed them to us in these last days as a guide and protection throughout our lives that you and I might not fail of an exaltation in the Celestial kingdom where God and Christ dwell."  --Through Temple Doors, John K. Edmunds, p. 141--Harold B. Lee, Decisions for Successful Living
                                                             (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1978),  p. 141;  The 

Walt's talk was marvelous! I can't share many of the specific words, --because I still don't understand much Spanish--but the members were spellbound and I could see the light in their eyes of being taught by a true follower of the Savior.
     He often has me come stand beside him when he begins and tells them that I am his "eternal sweetheart," and how much he loves and appreciates me.
      Our driver told us on the way back that he heard several couples saying they "want a marriage just like President and Sister Petersen."
Several wanted their photo with us.
And, yes, many still come in the backs of pickups.  He was sitting in the truck bed, until he saw me asking them to stop a second for me to take a photo.  He then hopped up onto the side.

Here is Brother José Alvarenga, who drove us to and from this fireside.  We invite our drivers to come see the temple president's apartment and give them a treat.

I will have to post the rest of our week later...
  We (the 4 Sr. Couple Temple Missionaries, Walt and I) are going on our monthly outing tomorrow - Monday, on our P-day, when the temple is closed.  We've chosen to go back to San Sebastian where we went several months ago.  We were going to San Miguel, but changed our plan.  It will be another adventure to post about.
     Have a great week.  Goodnight.

No comments: