Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Traces of Time . . . August 1-7, 2016

Traces of Time . . .
This week 
~ August 1, 2016 
to 
August 7, 2016
in IDAHO ~

How do these Spring and Summer months 
zoom by so quickly?!



W E L C O M E     A U G U S T

August 15-20 - Cassia County Fair Week

Monday - August 1, 2016 - 

We had no appointments nor anything scheduled today, so we got to stay home.  We did drive the car to Crawford's to have that dent fixed on the back right side from a fender bender that Walt had in May.

So  we will be driving the pickup this week.

For family home evening we read our Sunday School Lesson #30, "The Great Plan of Happiness" Alma 40-42.

Off and on I've written down the many different names that "The Plan of Salvation" is known by.  I read something really interesting in the July 31, 2016 Church News today about this Plan.
    In the "Church News Viewpoint" on the last page called 'Pioneers today' President Thomas S. Monson said:

     "Times change, but truth persists," he said in a 
July 2013 First presidency message. 'When we fail to profit from the experiences of the past, we are doomed to repeat them with all their heartache, suffering, and anguish.  Haven't we the wisdom to obey Him who knows the beginning from the end -- our Lord, who designed the plan of salvation* -- rather than that serpent, who despised its beauty.' "

*l have never seen this before.  Our Prophet, Thomas S. Monson, said here that Jesus Christ designed the Plan of Salvation!  Have any of you heard that before??

I know it is because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, our Savior and Redeemer, that the Plan of Salvation works. But I have never heard that He designed it.

We also do not hear often that Jesus Christ is the first born spirit of Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother.  But it is in print from the Brethren.

Tuesday - August 2, 2016 

Daniel sent an e-mail for his choice for the Sibling Book Club for August:


I had a check list of 9 "To Do" things and got 3 done.  So I must be busy at something.

Wednesday - August 3, 2016

We drove to Twin Falls in our pickup today since our Buick is at Crawford's this week getting a fender bender from May fixed.

Dale met us for the 3:00 session.

Dale chose to eat at The Outback.  Connie is getting ready for two different sets of guests this week.  Our cousin and wife, Glen and Julie Petersen, from Colorado are coming to stay a few days, and then this weekend Brad Hess, Connie's son, is coming to visit with their three children.

Thursday - August 4, 2016

Today is a somber remembrance of our wonderful friend and great neighbor, Don Melling, passing away one year ago.
We still miss him a lot, as, of course, do his widow and family.
Don Ray Melling - age 80, passed away in Burley, Idaho, on August 4, 2015.


Our neighbors and friends - The Roskelleys
Lori Roskelley Harris,daughter of Darrell and Mary Ann Roskelley put this on face book this morning.
With the caption:  "I can't wait. These two lovely people are on their way to come visit me!"
They are going to New York where Lori, her husband and family live about 3 hours out of New York City. Here they are on Friday, Aug. 5.
Here's a close up of them.
Here's their grandson who was baptized:
(I'm waiting for Lori to post this photo on face book.)

Friday - August 5, 2016

We did our 10-12 noon family history time with Kathleen Hedberg this morning and printed 8 cards to do temple work for.  Our ward family history consultant is so helpful to us each Friday and she teaches and guides us in our familysearch.org learning.


O L Y M P I C S - 2 0 1 6  Rio de Janerio

We watched most of the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics.  We loved to see each country come in.....wish they'd kept the world map of where the country is....on the screen longer....as well as how many athletes from that country and the population of the country.  Sometimes we forgot to check it out before it was gone.

We hope all goes well and there are no injuries to these marvelous athletes who work so hard in training for the
OLYMPICS.

Motto
The Olympic motto is the hendiatris Citius, Altius, Fortius, which is Latin for
                                                 "Faster, Higher, Stronger".
 It was proposed by Pierre de Coubertin upon the creation of the International Olympic Committee in 1894.
Coubertin borrowed it from his friend Henri Didon, a Dominican priest who was an athletics enthusiast.[2]
Coubertin said "These three words represent a programme of moral beauty. The aesthetics of sport are intangible."[2] The motto was introduced in 1924 at the Olympic Games in Paris.[3] A more informal but well known motto, also introduced by Coubertin, is 
                    "The most important thing is not to win but to take part!" 
Coubertin got this motto from a sermon by the Bishop of Pennsylvania during the 1908 London Games.[4]

The Rings


The five-ringed symbol of the Olympic Games.
The rings are composed of five interlocking rings, colored blue, yellow, black, green, and red on a white field, known as the "Olympic rings". The rings represent 5 world continents, Africa, Asia, America, Europe and Oceania. The symbol was originally designed in 1912 by Baron Pierre de Coubertin, co-founder of the modern Olympic Games. According to Coubertin, the ring colors with the white background stand for those colors that appeared on all the national flags that competed in the Olympic games at that time. Upon its initial introduction, Coubertin stated the following in the August 1912 edition of Olympique:[5]
... the six colors [including the flag's white background] combined in this way reproduce the colors of every country without exception. The blue and yellow of Sweden, the blue and white of Greece, the tri-colors of France and Serbia, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, America, Germany, Belgium, Italy, and Hungary, and the yellow and red of Spain, are placed together with the innovations of Brazil or Australia, with old Japan, and with new China. Here is truly an international symbol.
In his article published in the Olympic Revue the official magazine of the International Olympic Committee in November 1992, the American historian Robert Barney explains that the idea of the interlaced rings came to Pierre de Coubertin when he was in charge of the USFSA, an association founded by the union of two French sports associations and until 1925, responsible for representing the International Olympic Committee in France: The emblem of the union was two interlaced rings (like the vesica piscis typical interlaced marriage rings) and originally the idea of Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung: for him, 
the ring symbolized continuity and the human being.[6]


Saturday - August 6, 2016

We've been looking for an older Cadillac since January of this year.  Actually, we've had Rick Larsen at Elkhorn Sales in Burley looking for us.  He's found several but felt none of them were in good enough condition.
He called Friday afternoon to say that Premier Auto in Twin had a 2005 Deville that looked good with 100,000 miles on it.
We drove over Saturday.
We loved it.
But Walt didn't think we could swing it.
Here we are by it.
Later he said we could probably sell the pickup and get it.
I told him I was afraid it might already be sold.
We'll find out Monday morning.

Then we got my hearing aids cleaned at Costco, and found a perfect clock at Target for a wedding reception next week.  I'd alreayd found the clock in Burley for the reception tonight for our good friends' son--Tim and Renae Preston.

John Preston and Hanna Pickett were married yesterday in the Twin Falls Idaho Temple.  We knew it would be a long line with Hanna's father being the Oakley Stake President and John's father being in our Burley Idaho West Stake Presidency.

And it was a long line! We got there at 7:30 and the line was the entire length, then width of the cultural hall plus out the door and down the long hall to the side door of the stake center.  President and Sister Eames who were at the end of the line convinced us to go sit inside the cultural hall and then we could hop into line beside them when they got in.

We did that.  Then Tim and Renae's daughter came and told us that we had been asked to come directly to the wedding line.  In the past, Walt would not have done that, but now with his weak legs and having more pain this week, we did do as directed.  (There are a few advantages to getting old and crippled up and having to use a cane.  But mostly, old age is no fun!)

Here are President and Sister Preston, and the handsome groom and beautiful bride beside them.  And you can see President and Sister Pickett beyond that.
When President Pickett saw us, he said to his wife (paraphrasing): "This is President/Doctor Petersen.  He has done more for so many in Oakley, Burley, Rupert than anyone who's ever lived here!  He's been a bishop, stake president, doctor to many (including me when I was growing up), then a mission president, medical missions, and a temple president......"  
   You can imagine how taken back and flaggergasted Walt was.  But it was very nice of President Pickett.
    
Tim asked us to be sure to say hello to his Mom, Doris Preston, whom we've been friends with for many years.  She is living in Utah with a sister, but also spends time here in Burley with her sister, Edna Heinze, who is in our Burley 3rd Ward.  She said she'd be here for two weeks.  She is still as beautiful as ever.

   Several of her sons--Stan, Steve, and one other, came over and reminded "Dr. Petersen" of when he had stitched up this and that during their growing up years.  And several of Tim and Renae's sons talked with him.
   I got a photo of them at their table.
I had forgotten that the Preston brothers and Tim and Renae's sons and nephews are so tall.

I just found out tonight that Linda, sitting to the right of Doris in the white blouse with a corsage), is also her sister! 
We've lived in Burley 55 years now and are still learning of family connections.
The cultural hall was beautifully decorated.
That's the line on the far side.
Here's more of the line.
Several other friends greeted us and we got to talk with several, including Bob and Gale Beck's daughter, Brandy, and her husband.

In March they were in Washington D.C. and ran into our Brian who was there with his daughter's school group.
She said when she first saw him she knew he was a Burley boy, and then it came to her and she declared: "BRIAN PETERSEN!"

Her husband said many years ago when he was in Washington D.C. he ran into our Steve!
As Aaron Taylor often says: "Burley, Idaho, is the center of the Universe!"  Anywhere in the world you can run into someone from Burley, or to someone who knows someone from Burley!

Sunday - August 7, 2016

1. Brother Dan Murray, second counselor in our bishopric, started the testimonies today by sharing his experience in observing people and concluding that as we take the sacrament our countenance should be of the Savior. We should reflect the kindness of the Savior.  He will help us bear our burdens.  We will have brightness of hope.

Seventeen other testimonies were shared:

2. Ruth Melling said as she partook of the Sacrament today the words of the hymn "I Stand All Amazed" went through her mind.  She shared the words of this hymn as she expressed her gratitude to the Savior for her many blessings from Him.

I Stand All Amazed (I didn't know this video would also copy, but if you want to hear the Mormon Tabernacle sing this wonderful hymn, it is here.)
















I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me,
Confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me.
I tremble to know that for me he was crucified,
That for me, a sinner, he suffered, he bled and died.
Oh, it is wonderful that he should care for me
Enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!

I marvel that he would descend from his throne divine
To rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine,
That he should extend his great love unto such as I,
Sufficient to own, to redeem, and to justify.
Oh, it is wonderful that he should care for me
Enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!

I think of his hands pierced and bleeding to pay the debt!
Such mercy, such love and devotion can I forget?
No, no, I will praise and adore at the mercy seat,
Until at the glorified throne I kneel at his feet.
Oh, it is wonderful that he should care for me
Enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!


Even though it was quiet, a more reverent hush came over the congregation as Sister Melling had reminded us of how much we love the Savior and we were all truly "amazed that He he should care for me, enough to die for me!"
The rest of the testimonies:
3. Jossilyn Ludlow (age 8) - Bore testimony of the Church being true. She felt the love of Heavenly Father and her family and was happy they could all be together.
4. Russ Ludlow - The last year has been hard for him but he is thankful to Heavenly Father for all He does.
5. Alan Fluckiger - He testified that Heavenly Father loves Jossilyn even more than she thought. He loves us all more than we know. Paul said that nothing any of us do can would diminish His love for us. But we can do things that keep us from our feeling His love.  Despite our rebellion HE LOVES US! Like the father of the prodigal son, Heavenly Father is waiting to welcome us.

6. Mason Ludlow - (young boy about 7 with some challenges) I bear testimony that the Church is true. I know my family loves me. I hope you guys like my testimony.

7. Ashley Ludlow - Grateful for the Atonement. In our struggles we can come closer to Christ. My struggles teach me to be more like the Savior.

8. MacKenna Hale - I know the Church is true. I feel the Holy Ghost.

9. Russ Hale - I know the Lord is in our life every day.

10. Chris Kemp - I bear testimony today of how much I have felt the spirit in many places.  Our 8-11 year old girls had a stake activity recently and brought or made many things to take to the refugees in Twin Falls, including a quilt they tied that day.  They said an 11-year old girl had just arrived the day before who needed a quilt, so it was given to her. God is watching over us.  The Gospel is perfect, there is no excuse to not live it. I know the Savior lives.

11. Lanada Kerbs (our ward Relief Society President) - I am truley grateful for the Gospel. The adversary has been working hard on me. I am grateful for the Gospel and for the scriptures. I was not a pioneer in the past times but I am a pioneer today. I am grateful for each one of you. I wish I had a family to sit by as most of you do, but I know my girls will come back.

12. Mindy Hale - My son Bryce is on the swim team this summer. In Gooding at the swim meet it was so touching to see the Gooding swim team members cheer on a handicapped boy on their team.  We can always go to the Lord with our trials.

13. Dan Crane (80 plus years old) - I am happy to be here. I am happy when Sunday comes along because it gives us something to do. I am grateful for the Gospel. I am grateful for my wife who takes care of me.  I really love her for all she does for me.  I've thought a lot about the mistakes I've made, but I'm thankful I did as good as I did.   He then quoted a poem by memory about a young man out on the farm wishing he could leave and go see the world.  The next verse is about a man who has traveled all over the world wishing he could just go back to the farm.  Dan closed with saying how blessed we are to be members of the Church.

14. Sherry Ormond - "My life is a gift; My life has a plan" then shared how busy the temple was on Friday and so many had to wait.  This frustrated her and she was very tired at the end of her shift.  Then she saw a mother and daughter go by, both smiling.  That's when she noticed that the daughter had no arms.  This was an eye opener for her to be happy no matter what.  She shared about her sister-in-law passing away this past week from cancer and a stroke.  The Lord is in charge. She is grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and His Atoning sacrifice.  Families can be together forever - we need to work, serve, and love so we can be. She loves the Book of Mormon and the power of the scriptures, and testified that we have a living Prophet.

15. Lydon Crane - He and his wife [Tawny] were sad to be released from the Primary last week.  Someone said that if the Savior came to our ward, He would probably go straight to the Primary first.  He thanked the outgoing primary presidency and said he and his wife enjoyed their primary callings.  He knew that the new primary presidency would do a wonderful job.  The Savior loves each one of us.

16. Ardyth Green - Been a while since I've been here as I've been in California with my daughters.  The big cities scare me to death--they are so crowded and fast. And the Boise traffic is about the same now.  It is good to be home where it is more slow moving. I pray for my grandson who is now in the military.  I have had a great life with mostly happy times, and a few sad times.  I love being with my husband and with you ward members. Thank you all for your kindness and care.

17. Don Green - As Brother Murray observed people, I too, find it sometimes comical how people act.  All the turmoil in our world is caused by Satan.  After he was cast out of heaven, his mission was to destroy. The two most important things we have are our membership in the Church, and a temple recommend.  I encourage all who don't have one to see the Bihop and get one. I am thankful for Joseph Smith restoring the Church back to the earth as he was told to by Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  Joseph Smith saw and heard what he said he saw and heard. We need to be alert and follow the counsel of our stake and ward leaders.

18. Bonnie Hansen - I am grateful for the Plan of Happiness and that our chapel is full of families with children. We have just had a 3-day family reunion and I appreciate our family.  I know that Heavenly Father's Plan of Happiness was to "multiply and replenish the earth."  I am grateful for our beautiful family who work hard but also have fun together.  Most of them are using their agency as they should. My grandfather joined the Church and then went back to Switzerland to bring more of his family in to the Church. Even though he was not successful in that, his posterity here have 70 years of service in the Church.

Our Sunday School Lesson was Lesson 30: 


The Great Plan of Happiness Alma 40-42

For several years I've been searching as I read the Book of Mormon to add other names of this plan.  So far I had 6.  Walt found #7 for me this afternoon in Bruce R. McConkie's Mormon Doctrine.
   So here are the ones we have:
1.    1. The Plan of Salvation
2.    2. The Plan of Happiness
3.    3. The Great Plan of Happiness
4.    4. The Plan of Mercy
5.    5. The Great and Eternal Plan of Deliverance from Death -- 2N11:5
6.    6. The Plan of Redemption – Alma 30:18
7.   7.  The Plan of Exaltation – Bruce R. McConkie Mormon Doctrine
8.    8. The Plan of Personal Progress (Gary sent this today)
      9. The Merciful Plan of the Great Creator   2 Ne. 9:6 (just saw this one)

So this reminded me of the Three Pillars of Eternity.



The Three Pillars of Eternity

Bruce R. McConkie    BYU
I know, as do we all, that the things of God can be understood only by the power of the Holy Spirit. And I pray that we may receive a mighty outpouring of that Spirit as we consider
the three pillars of eternity—the three great eternal verities upon which salvation rests.

The Three Pillars of Eternity

1.  The Creation

2.  The Fall

3.  The Atonement

Elder McConkie's talk explains it all in 10 pages.

Walt and I ended our fast as we came home this afternoon from the 3-hour block of Church.
We made the decision back in St. Louis--as newlyweds (55 years ago)--of how we would fast.
Actually, the other counselor in the Stake Y.W. Presidency helped me with this.  

One Saturday evening we were at a stake YW-YM dance.  They were serving refreshments.  I brought some to share with her.  I had not remembered that it was the Saturday before Fast Sunday.

She said: "My husband and I have decided that we are going to fast from a specific time on Saturday to the corresponding 24 hours from that time until the next day.  We did not want to wait until this late at night on Sunday evening to break our fast, so we have chosen to not have refreshments at any event that is on Saturday evening before Fast Sunday."

Walt and I liked that plan, and that's what we have adopted.  We chose the time on Saturday to have our dinner, and plan for Sunday dinner 24 hours from that time.  It has worked for us. That's our "sundown to sundown" plan.

And we know that others have their agency to decide what is the best way for them.

As the sun has set, we pray you have had a peaceful and restful Sabbath Day.

We bear testimony that God lives and loves us. And as some bore their testimony today in our Fast and Testimony Meeting that He does love us more than we can fathom.
He knows us individually by name.
We are the spirit children of Elohim and our Heavenly Mother.

Jesus Christ is Their Firstborn Spirit Child and was foreordained to come to earth as the Only Begotten Son on the earth of Heavenly Father.  Mary was foreordained to be His earthly mother.

Jesus Christ is our Redeemer and Savior who designed the Plan of Salvation and His Atonement makes all things possible.  Because of the Savior's Atonement, Resurrection is possible for each person born on this earth.

Joseph Smith was foreordained to be the Prophet of the Restoration as prophesied in the scriptures.

The Book of Mormon is the Word of God and is Another Testament of Jesus Christ.

The Bible is the Word of God as far as it is translated correctly.

Thomas S. Monson is the Living Prophet on the earth today.

Of these truths we testify on this 7th day of August 2016.
Walt and Eileen Petersen - Burley, Idaho, U.S.A.






1.    

No comments: